Echo & Alexa Forums

remote microphone turn off

rocket888

remote microphone turn off
« on: April 25, 2019, 03:21:24 pm »
I have the original echo, cylinder with volume ring and red microphone off indicator around the top.

Is there a command or an app that can effectively push the microphone mute (i.e. don't listen echo) button. I would like to say, "alexa go to sleep" or some such.

I would also like a timeout on the microphone on, so that I can use the button to have alexa listen, say something, and then after some amount of time have it turn off the microphone.

I no longer leave my echo microphone on all the time, so these options would be really helpful.

Re: remote microphone turn off
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 08:46:29 pm »
About the only thing I could imagine, is having the Echo remote control ... but I don't know if it would over ride the "mute' function on the echo... could give it a try at least... order one from amazon and if it doesn't;t work out, return it at relatively no cost...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Offline jwlv

Re: remote microphone turn off
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 10:42:36 am »
Scottrod is on the right track. If I remember correctly, when you put the Echo on mute (red ring on top), you can activate Alexa by pressing the mic button on the voice remote. After that the Echo goes back on mute automatically.

Technically the Echo stayed on mute and never changed. The voice remote has its own mic that is activated when you press the mic button on the remote. So you would speak to the remote and the Echo will answer.