Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa Routine for Kwikset 914 Smart Lock

Coderunner

Alexa Routine for Kwikset 914 Smart Lock
« on: April 09, 2019, 08:27:06 pm »
New to Alexa but been accomplishing a lot already.

I have a Kwikset 914 smart-lock on my front door. It is Zigbee and Alexa does fine locking and unlocking. I want a routine that has Alexa notify me when the door is unlocked or locked.  When I go to create a routine I can find the lock in the device but when going to the "When this happens" all I get is an option for temperature above or below like it was a thermostat.  Not sure if I am missing something here.

As an aside I also have a WINK hub. Should I be putting the Kwikset lock on Wink and then linking to Alexa?

Any assistance for a newbee is greatly appreciated

SylvainG

Re: Alexa Routine for Kwikset 914 Smart Lock
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 07:41:18 pm »
Hi, I have this lock as well and in my case, it's connected to the Echo Plus 2nd generation. I'm surprised you can unlock your door with Alexa. I thought (as mentioned in the manual) that for security reason you can just lock and not unlock.

Regarding your question, I also only have temperature and not lock status in a routine but I know it's possible to get its status because when saying "Alexa, is the front door locked?" it will return the status of the lock.

dragon123

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 05:59:11 pm »
If Alexa can't do it 'out of the box', have you looked into something like IFTTT?

Coderunner

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 01:07:33 pm »
So I am fairly new to Alexa as well but through some research, I can confirm the following.

1) You can lock and unlock the 914 with Alexa however she will ask for a passcode. The new Echo Show has a hub built in that sees the Zigbee device.

2) If you have a Wink hub however, it will not see the Zigbee device. I spent some time on the phone with several support persons on the same call. The Wink hub 2 will not see a Zigbee device contrary to several postings I found on the web.

I have 2 Kwikset locks both Zwave which I connect to the Wink hub. I then discover the locks Alexa via the Wink hub. I use Wink to trigger messages that the doors are locked or unlocked. I use Alexa for voice command for the same.

I built a "Good Night" routine that in addition to shutting down lights on the first level of our home and settign thermostats on both levels to a nighttime setting, also sends a command to both locks to lock and Alexa verifies the same.   

The only thing I found during one of Winks many recent outages is that there is no acknowledgment from Wink the lock command was actually completed. I had deliberately left one of the locks unlocked so I could hear it activate from the command. When I got Alexa's message and the lock did not activate I did some searching and found that due to an outage with WINK the command between Wink and the Locks actually never happened.

I am currently researching other hubs such as Samsungs Smartthings to see if this is a weakness in their platform as well. While I have had Wink since it was originally released with both the Wink Hub 1 and now the 2 the lack of firmware upgrades, sudden lack of product on shelves and the numerous outages over the past couple of months has become a concern. I will post any updates here