Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Alexa Routine for Kwikset 914 Smart Lock

Alexa Routine for Kwikset 914 Smart Lock
« on: April 09, 2019, 08:27:06 pm »
New to Alexa but been accomplishing a lot already.

I have a Kwikset 914 smart-lock on my front door. It is Zigbee and Alexa does fine locking and unlocking. I want a routine that has Alexa notify me when the door is unlocked or locked.  When I go to create a routine I can find the lock in the device but when going to the "When this happens" all I get is an option for temperature above or below like it was a thermostat.  Not sure if I am missing something here.

As an aside I also have a WINK hub. Should I be putting the Kwikset lock on Wink and then linking to Alexa?

Any assistance for a newbee is greatly appreciated

Re: Alexa Routine for Kwikset 914 Smart Lock
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 07:41:18 pm »
Hi, I have this lock as well and in my case, it's connected to the Echo Plus 2nd generation. I'm surprised you can unlock your door with Alexa. I thought (as mentioned in the manual) that for security reason you can just lock and not unlock.

Regarding your question, I also only have temperature and not lock status in a routine but I know it's possible to get its status because when saying "Alexa, is the front door locked?" it will return the status of the lock.

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 05:59:11 pm »
If Alexa can't do it 'out of the box', have you looked into something like IFTTT?
My Alexa stuff:
Echo Show, Echo Spot, 4 Echo Dots, Fire TV, Fire tablet,
Vobot Alarmclock, Logitech Harmony Hub, house full of Hue lights,
Ring 1+2 doorbells, Tado smart thermostat, Plex server.

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 01:07:33 pm »
So I am fairly new to Alexa as well but through some research, I can confirm the following.

1) You can lock and unlock the 914 with Alexa however she will ask for a passcode. The new Echo Show has a hub built in that sees the Zigbee device.

2) If you have a Wink hub however, it will not see the Zigbee device. I spent some time on the phone with several support persons on the same call. The Wink hub 2 will not see a Zigbee device contrary to several postings I found on the web.

I have 2 Kwikset locks both Zwave which I connect to the Wink hub. I then discover the locks Alexa via the Wink hub. I use Wink to trigger messages that the doors are locked or unlocked. I use Alexa for voice command for the same.

I built a "Good Night" routine that in addition to shutting down lights on the first level of our home and settign thermostats on both levels to a nighttime setting, also sends a command to both locks to lock and Alexa verifies the same.   

The only thing I found during one of Winks many recent outages is that there is no acknowledgment from Wink the lock command was actually completed. I had deliberately left one of the locks unlocked so I could hear it activate from the command. When I got Alexa's message and the lock did not activate I did some searching and found that due to an outage with WINK the command between Wink and the Locks actually never happened.

I am currently researching other hubs such as Samsungs Smartthings to see if this is a weakness in their platform as well. While I have had Wink since it was originally released with both the Wink Hub 1 and now the 2 the lack of firmware upgrades, sudden lack of product on shelves and the numerous outages over the past couple of months has become a concern. I will post any updates here