Echo & Alexa Forums

Can this even be done...

dxn

Can this even be done...
« on: April 08, 2019, 05:20:15 pm »
Ok so maybe I'm crazy for even thinking this but it is driving me crazy and I just have to see if it's even possible or not.  So here's my situation. I recently ordered my Echo Dot from Amazon and by all indications it shows it was delivered over a week ago but I never got it. My girlfriend has never had an issue when ordering from Amazon... bottom line here is I do not think there is any issue with the delivery... I am convinced one of my neighbors (we live in an apt) stole it while it was sitting in front of our door.  So my question is... once my replacement gets here (being sent to a different address where they don't live in an apt) is there a way I can track or search or whatever to see if there is another Echo device that is close by? This will tell me whether or not my neighbors have one. 

Any feedback you can provide is much appreciated. Thanks.

FarmerBob

Re: Can this even be done...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 06:24:58 pm »
From what I have seen these things are creepily attached to your account the second they are ordered. It should show up in your Echo devices in the Alexa app. I would imagine that Amazon would see it the second anyone tries to connect it to the Internet. And would kill it or hunt it down with one of their drones.

It would have to be "Deregistered" by you in your Alexa account as I have had to as they describe when giving one as a gift or giving away a unit you have used. It's along the lines, if not worse than Apple and their gear.

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 04:28:26 am »
if the echo was stolen or delivered to the wrong location and not returned, then amazon will lock the device and it cannot be use by anyone. 

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 04:03:55 pm »
Yesterday, we had a large package from Amazon delivered and when wife checked on status of delivery it had been delivered a short time earlier and delivery notice included a photo of the large boxed-suitcase sitting on our front porch by door!  No one rang our doorbell.  They need to do this, too.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 06:30:23 pm »
A lot of Amazon Flex delivery drivers just drop off a package without ringing the doorbell or knocking. You can call Amazon and complain although I don't know if it'll do any good. Several times they left packages on top of a patio table I have in the front yard where everyone driving by can see. If the delivery driver walked down a few more feet, they could have left it by the front door and no one would be able to see it since there's a 90 degree turn at the front door. Because they never came to the door, nobody rang the bell or knocked. The very last time an Amazon delivery driver left packages on the patio table, I saw a picture of the packages through my Amazon account. When I went outside to get it, the packages were gone. My doorbell camera didn't capture anything because that area is not in the camera's field of view. That's when I called Amazon to complain. They credited my order back to me. I guess it takes Amazon to lose money before they take action. Since that day, no Amazon delivery driver has ever left anything on that patio table in the front yard. I don't know what some of these delivery drivers were thinking to leave packages on top of a table in plain view that can be seen from 200 ft away. It's like putting a sign up saying, "Come steal me!"

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 04:22:58 am »
ups and usps both never ring the doorbell or knock in my area.   I wish there was a local store where I can have packages dropped off at.  my neighborhood has gone downhill over the years.  over the past year, I have had the police stop by and ask me about stuff and neighbors several times.   Never had that happened  before.   even the other half of the duplex I live in was broken in a couple of weeks ago.   Though nobody lived there but it came furnished.  after the break in it was no longer fully furnished.  they even took the washer and dryer.    anywa, so far none of my packages have been stolen, yet. 

Coderunner

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 03:22:39 pm »
 renegade600

Just an FYI. With UPS if you go to their web site you can setup an account (Free) and be informed of ALL shipments to your address. In addition, you can also set a tag in your profile to have all shipments delivered to a UPS store location near you or choose to do it one shipment at a time. I have all my shipments delivered to a UPS store about a mile from my home.

With FedEx it is a little more effort. You signup for an account (Again Free) and get notifed of any shipment to your address. You can then choose to have it delivered to a FedEx office location or let it come to your home. I reroute all to a local FedEx office location gain close to home. With FexEx you have to do each shipment as it comes they have no blanket redirect as of a month ago.

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 04:06:49 pm »
renegade600

Just an FYI. With UPS if you go to their web site you can setup an account (Free) and be informed of ALL shipments to your address. In addition, you can also set a tag in your profile to have all shipments delivered to a UPS store location near you or choose to do it one shipment at a time. I have all my shipments delivered to a UPS store about a mile from my home.

With FedEx it is a little more effort. You signup for an account (Again Free) and get notifed of any shipment to your address. You can then choose to have it delivered to a FedEx office location or let it come to your home. I reroute all to a local FedEx office location gain close to home. With FexEx you have to do each shipment as it comes they have no blanket redirect as of a month ago.

actually done both but it is hit and miss as to being informed in a timely manner.     No local office for either in my town so my options are limited. 

Chuck43

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 07:40:52 am »
I put a sign on my front door, "Please Ring Doorbell When Making A Delivery" now Amazon, FedEx, USPS and UPS all do it.