Echo & Alexa Forums

Device Arrives Home Lag

Mountainbreeze

Device Arrives Home Lag
« on: April 01, 2019, 05:00:38 pm »
I have set up a routine to turn on some lights  when my Galaxy S9 arrives home.  The routine works correctly when manually run.  My location is set correctly with a proper radius.  The problem is that the routine does not trigger until several minutes after I arrive home.  By this time, I can park the car, enter the house and turn on the light manually.  Is there any way to get Alexa to respond to my arrival home in a more timely fashion?

FarmerBob

Re: Device Arrives Home Lag
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 05:31:30 pm »
I have been dealing with many Alexa idiosyncrasies that makes no sense or have no sensible resolution. I can only think that if there is no place to deal with a timing factor, you could try increasing the activation radius so that "She" sees you earlier and has more time to primp and "adjust" to welcome you home. For all we know "She" could be luring you into a dark house and is standing behind a door in her 1950's House Dress with a knife in her hand just waiting for the moment . . .

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 05:59:45 pm »
I have set up a routine to turn on some lights  when my Galaxy S9 arrives home.  The routine works correctly when manually run.  My location is set correctly with a proper radius.  The problem is that the routine does not trigger until several minutes after I arrive home.  By this time, I can park the car, enter the house and turn on the light manually.  Is there any way to get Alexa to respond to my arrival home in a more timely fashion?

I don't think there is a way.  I noticed the same with the security cams I have (nest, cloudcams).   I think it is because of the lag from whatever your phone is using for location to the cloud getting that info and accessing the routines.   I wish location was determine by wifi not location info provided by the phone.    I think that would be much faster. 

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 06:08:27 pm »
Geofencing is almost always delayed, not just with Alexa, but with everything and anything that uses geofencing. The reason why is because your phone does not always know your exact GPS location. If it did, your phone's battery would run out in an hour or two. Depending on your phone (and Android/IOS version) your GPS location is probably checked every 5-15 minutes. If you use the battery saver function on your phone, it would likely be much more than 15 minutes. It would check more often if you were actively using your phone and the app you were using already requested your GPS location. But if your phone is just sitting in your pocket, the GPS location will not be updated for several minutes.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 06:54:03 pm by jwlv »

Mountainbreeze

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 10:39:14 pm »
Thanks to all for the feedback.