Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa “Listen for” command?

dawilson8655

Alexa “Listen for” command?
« on: March 28, 2019, 05:41:00 pm »
Hi,

I was wondering if there is an ability to have Alexa “listen” for a period of time instead of needing the Alexa command. But that contains a part two. I want it to listen for a beep sound.

Wouldn’t it be nice to know when your oven is preheated or washing machine/dryer was done?

Considering how much an upgrade would cost for each item, a simple ability like this could be useful. Not to mention Alexa Guard already can listen for smoke detectors and broken glass.

Thanks,

Dave

FarmerBob

Re: Alexa “Listen for” command?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 06:58:18 pm »
I would imagine No. Since that would open up "privacy" issues. And they are having enough problems with that.

SylvainG

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 02:09:50 pm »
I find it's an interesting idea,

The "beep" wouldn't need to be sent to Amazon to analyze, just like the "Alexa" wake word isn't. It can be listen for locally. You would only have to make it learn this typical 'beep'.

dragon123

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 10:13:49 am »
There might be a way to have alexa say/do something if your washer/dryer/... is done: there are smartplugs that can measure power use. Dryer done? Power use from the dryer smart plug = zero. Together with say IFTTT you could maybe use that in an alexa routine.

dawilson8655

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 05:10:56 pm »
There might be a way to have alexa say/do something if your washer/dryer/... is done: there are smartplugs that can measure power use. Dryer done? Power use from the dryer smart plug = zero. Together with say IFTTT you could maybe use that in an alexa routine.

Now that’s an idea.... I’ll see if that’s possible. There are no audio learning sensors available online that I could find or Raspberry Pi modules either. Thank you for the suggestion! A simple solution like this beats the price of upgrading a dryer.