Echo & Alexa Forums

How Are You Liking Echo Guard

holydoc

How Are You Liking Echo Guard
« on: March 23, 2019, 08:16:03 pm »
I was wondering how everyone is liking Echo Guard and what their experiences are with it?  I have found I can put Echo in guard mode three different ways.  The first is by simply pressing the guard button in the Alexa App.  Secondly, I can put Alexa in guard by saying "Alexa, I am leaving".  And finally Alexa will go into Guard mode any time I set my ADT system to AWAY mode.

I tested the fire/CO Alarm by setting mine off (the one that was not a part of ADT).  Alexa immediately notified me that the alarm was sounding. 

So far the parts that I do not like is
1) whenever I come into my house from the Garage, I am supposed to have a 15 second window before the ADT alarms go off.  When Alexa is in Guard, I no longer have that window.  It goes off immediately.
2) Alexa is supposed to ask you for a code whenever you disarm Guard mode.  I can arm and disarm all day without a code.  I think this is a bug that will need to be fixed in the future.

So what are your experiences?

FarmerBob

Re: How Are You Liking Echo Guard
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 08:39:52 pm »
When I saw that option I thought it was great. Thankfully, I haven't had need for it. But since the Echo's have stopped working as they did before Christmas 2018, I wonder how long before that feature goes awry?

holydoc

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 08:52:59 pm »
When I saw that option I thought it was great. Thankfully, I haven't had need for it. But since the Echo's have stopped working as they did before Christmas 2018, I wonder how long before that feature goes awry?

Not sure what you mean that the Echo's have stopped working?  Mine work great.  Also not sure what you mean by awry.

FarmerBob

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 04:42:38 pm »
Not sure what you mean that the Echo's have stopped working?  Mine work great.  Also not sure what you mean by awry.

"Stopped working as they did prior to Christmas." The Echo platform was quite impressive and did things and had information that it no longer seems to have. Based on that I have bought quite a few that are now just sitting unopened ready to be sent back. It was reported that they over sold their servers capability world wide. I have had many friends that have seen a change in the operation of the units. I now get more null or "I don't know" answers than I ever have. Skills are not working as they did before. Commands are failing to be completed as written as they should or are intended to.

froglips

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 07:42:17 pm »
Still waiting, just checked again and Guard still says get notified when available.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 02:58:07 am »
I signed up to be notified about Echo Guard back in December last year. I'm still waiting for Amazon to make it available.

Offline kenf

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 11:49:29 am »
I'll have to look into it.  I have ADT.  I never use the Alexa app, so never notice if it has a Guard button or if it is updating from ADT.

I was using IFTTT to update my SmartThings' security mode when ADT changed modes, but that quit working late last year.

holydoc

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 07:05:27 pm »
Kenf, Jwlv, Froglips,

I apologize.  I thought Alexa Guard was a feature that was rolled out to everyone.  I did not realize that only a few have it currently.  Please do take the time to tell me what you like (or dislike) about it once you do get it.  I am looking forward to how this feature can be expanded and enhanced.

FarmerBob,

I guess I have been lucky because every skill I implemented seems to still be working great.  I love that the Alexa keeps expanding capabilities like ADT enhancements, Ring enhancements, proximity routines, and now with Guard.  I love the automation.