Echo & Alexa Forums

customize question to get the same result

aristosv

customize question to get the same result
« on: March 20, 2019, 11:43:14 am »
Currently I say “alexa tell youtube to play jazz music” and it plays jazz music from youtube.

Is there a way to configure alexa to perform the same task, by saying “alexa play jazz music” ?

And can I replace the word “jazz” with a variable for any music genre I ask alexa to play?

Thanks

Re: customize question to get the same result
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 09:16:44 pm »
Currently I say “alexa tell youtube to play jazz music” and it plays jazz music from youtube.

Is there a way to configure alexa to perform the same task, by saying “alexa play jazz music” ?

And can I replace the word “jazz” with a variable for any music genre I ask alexa to play?

Thanks

Best I can tell, the answer is no on the Youtube thing... You can set it up to use a Music service to play music and pick which one is your default source, but youtube isn't in the list if available sources for music.

If you have a Spotify, Amazon Music, or one of about 10 or 12 sources in the list Amazon provides, you can specify which one is used as default. You will still be able to override the default by asking for another specific service source as well, such as you have been doing already asking for Youtube to play your genre. It's all about compromise because no one Assistant has them all, and some items (like youtube) may not be available on any of them without the specified command of "youtube".
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

FarmerBob

Re: customize question to get the same result
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 11:02:34 pm »
I'm finding it's a crap shoot as to what you have to say to get what you want. I have said one thing, one time and it worked. The next time, it didn't. DISH. I say "Echo Pause Hopper." It does. I say, "Echo Play Hopper and I either get an "I don't know that" or she makes some excuse and starts playing music from a recommended source and when I snap "ECHO STOP!!" the Hopper plays. Alexa has gotten really dumb since the first of the year.