Echo & Alexa Forums

NEO PIR Sensor not Detected Echo Dot

lwright

NEO PIR Sensor not Detected Echo Dot
« on: March 14, 2019, 05:33:51 am »
Hi Folks.   I have a NEO sensor that I want to connect to my Echo Dot but it can't seem to detect it as a device.   I connected it to the Tuya Smart app & it detects movement fine.   I linked the Tuya Smart app in Alexa but it still won't detect.    My ultimate aim is to use it for home security with several sensors & when movement is detected Alexa can say something like "movement detected garage"   etc.

Here is the sensor:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Smart-WiFi-PIR-Motion-Sensor-Support-Google-Home-IFTTT-Alexa-Echo-APP-Remote-AU/113544536076?hash=item1a6fc8200c:g:yCwAAOSwfhlcOAl9

I'm wondering if Echo Dot doesn't support sensors & that I might need Echo Plus.

Appreciate any thoughts as I'm new to Alexa & home automation. 

dragon123

Re: NEO PIR Sensor not Detected Echo Dot
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 04:16:11 pm »
The steps should be:
Turn on sensor, plug it in, whatever is needed to 'activate' it
Install the app on your phone
add sensor to app
test app
Install the appropriate alexa skill
run discover devices in alexa
test alexa

Did you do the discover devices step?

You also need to be on a 2.4GHz wifi network for some reason, according to reviews of the app 5GHz is not supported ATM :o

lwright

Re: NEO PIR Sensor not Detected Echo Dot
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 05:58:33 pm »
The steps should be:
Turn on sensor, plug it in, whatever is needed to 'activate' it
Install the app on your phone
add sensor to app
test app
Install the appropriate alexa skill
run discover devices in alexa
test alexa

Did you do the discover devices step?

You also need to be on a 2.4GHz wifi network for some reason, according to reviews of the app 5GHz is not supported ATM :o

Thanks Dragon123.    Yes I've done all those steps.   When I use discover devices in Alexa it doesn't find anything.    Good point about the 5ghz.    I've just  turned off 5ghz on my router & reconnected the sensor to the network - still not showing in Alexa though.