Echo & Alexa Forums

static and skipping during music playback

ChippyFan

static and skipping during music playback
« on: March 30, 2019, 11:17:30 am »
Hello, all.  I am a new echo dot (gen. 3) user, and installed my device yesterday. 

I notice that when listening to music from my library (via iTunes), I hear static noises and experience skipping during playback if I perform other tasks on my computer.  It seems to coincide with keyboard strokes or mouse movement, or just when I am doing other things on my computer.

I tired resetting the device to no avail.

Any hints or suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Offline jwlv

Re: static and skipping during music playback
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 06:35:05 pm »
The lack of available bandwidth can affect the Echo in the way you described when playing music. But perhaps it's not your computer that's causing it. It's likely that you only notice it when you are using the computer.
The most likely culprit are cell phones when they do their backup. Apple iPhones perform their iCloud backup when it's plugged in and being charged. It backs up huge amounts of data, in the several gigabytes range (even more if you took photos and videos since the last backup). That can take a huge toll on any other device that is connected on your home network. Android phones do roughly the same thing although its backups seems to be a lot smaller. If you want to test this out, the next time you experience skipping during music playback on your Echo Dot, turn off your cellphone (and any other cell phones in the house).