Echo & Alexa Forums

Which one's better, Google Home or Alexa?

jimmiewilliams

Which one's better, Google Home or Alexa?
« on: March 06, 2019, 08:10:25 am »
Share your idea, Which one's better, Google Home or Alexa?

Offline kenf

Re: Which one's better, Google Home or Alexa?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 08:58:32 am »
This is predominantly an Echo forum, rather than a home automation forum. Seems the answers would be lean toward what people invested in.

I went with Alexa because:
more friends had it and liked it
saying "Alexa," is more natural than "OK google,"
I already had Prime and figured there'd be synergy bonuses
it had better price points and more models (I ignore 3rd party variants)
I don't need answers to questions fed by Earth's Mightiest Search Engine

froglips

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 05:30:52 pm »
Google is still much better at finding information, Echo is better at device control.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 01:13:55 am »
I have both devices. I like both.  I prefer Alexa over GH because there is more choice in music requested . If you ask for a music track Alexa will usually play it; GH will not; it only plays a playlist.  Why not get one of each so YOU can decide?  And,  what's taken you so long to get one or the other? You slow, or what??

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 05:13:57 am »
I have a set of both.  four echo devices and three gh devices.  For my use, I mainly use alexa.  use gh only as a backup and troubleshooter.  I hate having to say hey google.  just like I hate saying amazon as a wakeup word.  at least with amazon you have several choices. 

I have several devices that does not work with google.  also google tends to be hard of hearing.  I sometimes wonder if it is like me when I am in stores and the clerks keep bothering me - selective hearing (play deaf).

this is not to say google is all bad.  It does have better speakers on their devices.   I like the home hub.  it does not have the ads the alexa version has and it makes a better bedside clock since it does not have  a camera. 

I use the gh as a trouble shooter, at times when alexa says to check connections, I immediately ask gh.  if it does do the command, then the problem is with alexa.   If it also does not work, then it is easier to determine the next stop. 

If you have your own music library, it is easier for alexa to play it than google from your pc.  to be honest, not even sure if google can play a local library.   One thing, gh cannot read your emails while alexa can.  for me, that is very important. 

If you ask a lot of questions, then maybe google home is for you.  but that gets old so if that is the reason you got it, then it will gather dust after a while. 

finally, both devices are constantly being updated, I think you would not go wrong with either.      you can find all kinds of info about both and comparing both doing an online search.   just type alexa vs google home in your search box.