Echo & Alexa Forums

1st gen stopped connecting to wifi

bobbybobby

1st gen stopped connecting to wifi
« on: February 22, 2019, 05:47:04 am »
Hi, I’m new here. I’ve had my 1st gen since sept 2017 and about a month ago it stopped connecting to WiFi. I’m pretty tech savvy so tried everything with no luck, I googled to try any other methods I hadn’t tried but still no luck. Alexa connects during setup to the amazon WiFi then I go back into the app and it starts to connect but only gets a quarter into the progress bar then gets stuck and eventually tells me it can’t connect. I’ve tried phone app and also the Alexa website on my computer to connect but still no luck. I’ve tried moving the echo, factory reset etc. Everything.
There’s been no changes to my network. I had online chat with amazon and they said as it was older than 12 months it’s not under warranty, which is fine I said, I just wanted somewhere I could send it to be fixed but they replied they are an online retailer so don’t have any repair shops. It made me laugh at the end of the 50 minute conversation when the guy said it’s unusual as echos last for years, I asked how he could make that claim as they haven’t been around for “years”.
So now I’m stuck with a large paperweight. Is it just symptomatic of our “disposable society” that I need to throw it and buy a new one?
Sorry for long first post, any help is much appreciated.

mindmagic

Re: 1st gen stopped connecting to wifi
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 01:12:28 pm »
Mine tends to lose its connection every time I have to reboot it. Try setting it up using the web browser version of the app on a PC rather than the phone app. If you have to use a phone, make sure you're connecting to the same network; it won't work if you try to connect to 2.4 GHz while your phone is on 5, or vice versa.

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 01:34:24 pm »
is your ssid hidden?  if so, that could be the problem.  there have been reports of connection issues on some routers using hidden ssid. 

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 07:29:50 pm »
Ok, so things break, but the new gen 3 sounds much better.  Watch Amazon for a while and you will likely see them on sale and get one.

bobbybobby

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 06:30:58 pm »
Mine tends to lose its connection every time I have to reboot it. Try setting it up using the web browser version of the app on a PC rather than the phone app. If you have to use a phone, make sure you're connecting to the same network; it won't work if you try to connect to 2.4 GHz while your phone is on 5, or vice versa.
thanks for reply, yeah I tried via web browser but still no luck.

bobbybobby

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 06:33:23 pm »
is your ssid hidden?  if so, that could be the problem.  there have been reports of connection issues on some routers using hidden ssid.
thanks for reply, yes it’s hidden but I’ve had no problem with it being hidden for over a year until now. Might try “un-hiding” it and see if it responds. Cheers.

bobbybobby

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 06:36:57 pm »
Ok, so things break, but the new gen 3 sounds much better.  Watch Amazon for a while and you will likely see them on sale and get one.
thanks for reply, but not really acceptable something breaking after such a relatively short time. I take pretty good care of my gadgets and expected it to last longer than this. Doesn’t really bode well for future echo purchases.

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 07:51:21 pm »
thanks for reply, yes it’s hidden but I’ve had no problem with it being hidden for over a year until now. Might try “un-hiding” it and see if it responds. Cheers.

there was a recent update that broke things according to what I have been reading.

bobbybobby

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 02:36:09 pm »

there was a recent update that broke things according to what I have been reading.
my friend you are a genius, it worked once I unhid my network. Thank you so much. You’d think amazon helpline would’ve known or suggested this to me when I contacted them. Anyway, all good. Cheers.

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 03:49:07 pm »

my friend you are a genius, it worked once I unhid my network. Thank you so much. You’d think amazon helpline would’ve known or suggested this to me when I contacted them. Anyway, all good. Cheers.

I would think the helpline would know too.  I originally saw the problem posted in the their help forum.   anyway glad it work, hopefully they will have a fix soon.