Echo & Alexa Forums

Connect Dot to Denon AVR-S510BT

Mudinyeri

Connect Dot to Denon AVR-S510BT
« on: July 02, 2016, 08:57:56 am »
I purchased an Echo Dot and a Denon AVR-S510BT receiver so I could stream music from the Dot to the receiver via Bluetooth.  When attempting to pair the Dot and the Denon, the Alexa app says that the two are paired but the on-screen menu of the Denon says "No Connection."  No sound will play.  I have been able to pair my phone with the receiver via Bluetooth.

Has anyone successfully paired the Dot with a Denon receiver?  (I'm assuming all BT Denon receivers utilize the same protocol.)

Thanks.

mike27oct

Re: Connect Dot to Denon AVR-S510BT
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 02:09:32 pm »
How far apart are the Dot and the receiver?  BT has a limited range of about 30 feet, beyond the max range there will not be a decent BT signal between devices.  Also, when pairing BT devices they must be quite close to one another such as a foot or two, and after connecting they can then be more apart.

I have a Dot feeding audio to my stereo via the audio out jack of the Dot, because the two are close enough for a wired connection (set this up if you can), but if they were not, I would have to connect a BT receiving device into the receiver's audio in.

Mudinyeri

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 05:15:01 pm »
How far apart are the Dot and the receiver?  BT has a limited range of about 30 feet, beyond the max range there will not be a decent BT signal between devices.  Also, when pairing BT devices they must be quite close to one another such as a foot or two, and after connecting they can then be more apart.

I have a Dot feeding audio to my stereo via the audio out jack of the Dot, because the two are close enough for a wired connection (set this up if you can), but if they were not, I would have to connect a BT receiving device into the receiver's audio in.

The Dot and the receiver are about 20-25 feet apart (no walls).  Like I said, the Alexa app says the two are paired but the receiver disagrees. 

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 10:36:24 pm »
Could be a volume level issue; volume is too low to hear it.  Turn it up to half-way or more, but not all the way up!

Mudinyeri

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 05:20:14 pm »
Could be a volume level issue; volume is too low to hear it.  Turn it up to half-way or more, but not all the way up!

I turned the volume up to the limit. 

The receiver is not completing the pair.

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 06:49:42 pm »
What else can the receiver actually connect to?

Yoda_One

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 09:30:05 am »
I agree if you have another device active that is on and it is one of the BT options in that system and have personally had trouble connecting THAT BT to another sender. I would check the other BT sender units to verify if it is part of their group, if so delete it and see if your Dot works.

It is not always the device.

Next troubleshooting Volume as stated above.

First make sure your BT speaker system is a max or close to maximum level and turn the Echo volume manually 1/2 way to verify the sound it being received. Again personal experience. Power went out when I wasn't home.  I wanted to listen to music and it wasn't receiving in sound to my speakers I tried turning up the volume on the Echo, nothing, went to the app it showed it was BT active. Then it hit me that the speaker system is in off mode because that is the default state from the manufacturer.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 02:20:07 pm by Yoda_One »

Mudinyeri

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 06:15:33 pm »
The only other BT audio device that I have is my smart phone.  It connects to the Denon just fine.  I think I do have an old BT speaker that I could try to connect to the Dot. 

It isn't a volume issue.  The receiver is not completing the pair.

Yoda_One

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 12:28:27 pm »
I am still saying you need to make sure to have the BT off on the phone, then put the the BT pairing with your Dot into motion.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 01:10:12 pm by Yoda_One »

SoftwareHollis

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 12:41:40 pm »
I also have a Denon AVR-S510BT

Just received the new Amazon Dots yesterday, and cannot connect to the receiver.

The receiver goes into pairing mode.  I can see it "available" to connect to from my laptop.

But the Dot doesn't see anything - nothing else is connected to the receiver via bluetooth, and I have the Dot literally sitting next to the receiver.

Then again, the Dot doesn't seem to connect to my Bose SoundLink Mini either.

mike27oct

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 03:01:29 pm »
BT can be tricky.  It is best to have only the two devices you are trying to pair together with BT on, and all other BT signals (e.g. phone's, and any others) with BT off)

Your Denon must be in pairing mode, once it is, tell the Dot to "pair bluetooth".  I usually connect this way.  If you don't/can't, then reverse the procedure, and tell Dot first to "pair bluetooth", and right after it responds, put the Denon in pairing mode.

Spywiz

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 10:02:00 pm »
I just got my Dot yesterday.  I successfully paired the Bluetooth my Boss sound link mini. Then I also added my Onkyo audio receiver via bluetooth.  The Dot recognized both, we no issues. Be sure to use the Alexa app to turn on pairing for the Dot.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 10:04:10 pm by Spywiz »

dcolella15

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 01:38:53 pm »
I have a denon S-900w and was having a similar issue. My problem was:

At first I had no problem connecting to the dot and streaming to my denon. After a week or so, the dod would start to disconnect for no reason, then it would sometimes re-connect, and other times it was unable to. After a while, it wouldn't connect at all to my Denon. In fact I couldn't even re-pair the device after "forgetting" it. Finally I did a factor reset on my Denon. This did not work, then I did a factory reset on my ehco.

After the factory reset on the echo, I was able to pair and connect seamlessly. I haven't had an extended duration test of playing music yet, (this will be the ultimate test to see if the problem is solved). But for now, I was able to connect better after the factory reset, so I would start there.

My bet is there is a problem with the compatibility of the bluetooth device chips, but this is just speculation and unconfirmed.

Hope this helps

Pappa60

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 11:10:41 pm »
I purchased an Echo Dot and a Denon AVR-S510BT receiver so I could stream music from the Dot to the receiver via Bluetooth.  When attempting to pair the Dot and the Denon, the Alexa app says that the two are paired but the on-screen menu of the Denon says "No Connection."  No sound will play.  I have been able to pair my phone with the receiver via Bluetooth.

Has anyone successfully paired the Dot with a Denon receiver?  (I'm assuming all BT Denon receivers utilize the same protocol.)

Thanks.

I have successfully paired my echo dot 2nd gen to my Denon s910w.

I was having the same problem as you described. Everywhere on the web they say you cannot pair with a device that requests a passcode because the dot has no interface to enter the code displayed.

Anyways, I got it to take by first putting the Alexa App into search for Bluetooth, then switching the receiver to Bluetooth and it automatically went into it's connect mode and found the echo dot. If yours just says "no connection" use the Denon remote and push "option" and select "pair". I still couldn't enter the passphrase shown on the receiver but it remembered the pair. Doing this vise-versa it would never remember the pair. Hope this helps!

santley88

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 07:41:47 pm »
I know that this is kind of an old topic but I just found it.  I have a Denon AVR-S700.  My problem is that I have to go through the entire pairing process each time I want to stream through my Echo Dot (2nd Gen) via bluetooth.  Once I get it paired again, everything is fine, but when I stop, turn everything off and come back later, even though I am instructed to "connect my speaker", the Denon doesn't see it.  If I go to options and try to pair it again from the Denon side, no joy.  I literally have to delete/forget/hulk smash everything and start over again....  Arghhhhh

Sam