Echo & Alexa Forums

Your Provider Can’t Do That!

Clemdog

Your Provider Can’t Do That!
« on: February 18, 2019, 01:14:25 pm »
Lately one of my Hue bulbs will no longer turn on or off. I get the response “your provider can’t do that.”
What’s odd however is that I CAN say turn light to 100% or whatever % and it will respond to that.  It’s just on or off that gets the provider response...
Anyone know what’s going on?

Clemdog

Re: Your Provider Can’t Do That!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 08:12:48 pm »
I can’t be the only one that this is happening to...can I?

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 10:26:43 pm »
go into your history and see what alexa is hearing.

Clemdog

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 01:12:59 pm »
History show that Alexa is hearing correctly. I can turn the light to any percentage I ask but whenever I ask for a simple on or off I get “your provider couldn’t do that.”

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 09:57:43 pm »
post the exact command you are giving to turn on/off lights

Clemdog

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 12:16:30 pm »
post the exact command you are giving to turn on/off lights

“Alexa.  Turn on living room.”  Or “Alexa.  Turn off living room.”
These commands worked fine up till a couple of months ago...

As I’ve said I can still tell it to set living room to percentage and that works fine. It’s only the on or off that gets the “your provider can’t do that” reply.

briancbb

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 04:22:25 pm »
Have you tried a different order in the command?  I say "Alexa, Living room on" or "Alexa, Living room off".

Clemdog

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 07:56:45 pm »
Have you tried a different order in the command?  I say "Alexa, Living room on" or "Alexa, Living room off".

Oddly no. Doesn’t work.

But I just tried “Alexa. Turn living room to 40%” and that works just fine.

Weird...

Offline jwlv

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 09:21:29 pm »
Lately one of my Hue bulbs will no longer turn on or off. I get the response “your provider can’t do that.”
What’s odd however is that I CAN say turn light to 100% or whatever % and it will respond to that.  It’s just on or off that gets the provider response...

Only 1 bulb is doing that? How many other Hue bulbs do you have? And all of the other ones are working fine?
Maybe disconnect that 1 bulb, factory reset it, and the set it up again as new. Might also be helpful to power cycle everything, including all of the Hue bulbs, the Hue bridge, and your Echo devices.

Clemdog

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 12:53:42 pm »

Only 1 bulb is doing that? How many other Hue bulbs do you have? And all of the other ones are working fine?
Maybe disconnect that 1 bulb, factory reset it, and the set it up again as new. Might also be helpful to power cycle everything, including all of the Hue bulbs, the Hue bridge, and your Echo devices.

I have three bulbs in the house. The other two work as they should.

I’ve deleted and added back the living room light with the same exact results. No direct on and off but it will set the light at whatever percentage I ask...

Offline jwlv

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 02:43:56 am »
That is strange. The one last thing I can think of is the firmware. Make sure all your Hue bulbs are running the same version.

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 04:59:57 am »
where is the bulb located, in a floor or table lamp or ceiling?   if lamp, is it a three way?   does it have an electronic switch?  or a button you push or turn?   

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 07:53:16 am »
Change the name of the room to something else (TV Room, Sitting room...) or change the name of the bulb which I will for the sake of argument ASSUME you have the bulb and the room named the same thing... which is a no-no in the Alexa systems... If the room and the bulb share the same name it usually gives you a "multiple devices share the same name" message and does nothing... but I have had a time or two I had to work out similar issues due to this with no indicators at all.

Name the Light you're trying to turn on/off something like "Corner light" and the room name stays the same as it is... if that is the issue, this should cure the problem. Once the room and the bulb have different names, you can use both to turn that light on/off if you only have the one bulb in that room.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!