Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa app doesn't acknowledge that Auto Network Switch is off

ward

Alexa app doesn't acknowledge that Auto Network Switch is off
« on: February 16, 2019, 05:15:21 pm »
I've recently changed my router, so I need to assign my Alexa to the new network. In the Alexa app on my Galaxy S7 phone, on the Echo Setup screen, I'm told that the Auto Network Switch must be turned off. When I go to Settings > Connections > WiFi > Advanced, and turn off "Turn on Wi-Fi automatically" (there is no Auto Network Switch option), and then return to the Alexa app, it says Auto Network Switch" is still on.

How can I convince the Alexa app that I've turned it off?

Offline jwlv

Re: Alexa app doesn't acknowledge that Auto Network Switch is off
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 05:05:59 am »
Every phone manufacturer calls it something different. On Samsung they call it "adaptive wifi."
You can find it in settings - wifi - advanced - adaptive wifi - switch to mobile data - and just turn it off.

The idea here is that you don't want your phone to switch to cell data when it connects to the echo. If your phone switches to cell data it disconnects from your echo and you won't be able to finish setup. You need to keep it on wifi for the setup to continue successfully.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 05:10:42 am by jwlv »

ward

Re: Alexa app doesn't acknowledge that Auto Network Switch is off
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 01:25:58 pm »
Thanks for your reply, jwlv. In the location you specified, the "Switch to mobile data" setting was Off. The selection was also grayed out and said "This feature is turned off because mobile data is turned off." So I went back to Mobile Data and turned it on, then back to "Switch to mobile data", which was On, and turned it off. Then the setup allowed me to proceed.

It looks as if the assumption in most instructions is that mobile data is on and the "Switch to mobile data" setting is active and can be turned off. I guess if you have unlimited mobile data in your phone plan that's OK, but if not, leaving mobile data on can result in a big surprise in your phone bill.