Echo & Alexa Forums

One of my Echo Dot's can't find a smart plug by voice command

mattskold

One of my Echo Dot's can't find a smart plug by voice command
« on: February 13, 2019, 12:01:52 pm »
I recently bought a few SmartLife plugs (gosuna) and added them through their app. I then added the SmartLife skill to my Alexa app. I've named the plug 'Pink Lamp'. My two Dot's are registered to my Amazon account, one of them perfectly turns the lamp on and off with voice command but my second Dot  just tells me "I can't find a device named Pink Lamp". The on/off  also works fine in my Alexa app on my iPhone.
What am I missing?

mattskold

Re: One of my Echo Dot's can't find a smart plug by voice command
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 04:19:43 pm »
Update: I added a virtual switch in my Smartthings app, using IFTTT to trigger the plug in SmartLife. Then using Alexa to turn on/off the virtual switch in Smartthings. Therefore, Alexa has no clue it's a SmartLife plug. However, my issues still remains, one of my Echo Dot's can't find a device named 'Pink Lamp'.
Forgot to add, both Dot's are 2nd generation.

SylvainG

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 05:35:15 pm »
Just to be sure, look under History to see what Alexa understands when you say Pink Lamp. She can be very finicky. Try renaming it. Pink being a color, it could be a reserved word. Is the Echo that understand the command in the same room as the lamp? You might need to add the name of the room to your command.

mattskold

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 11:30:08 am »
Just to be sure, look under History to see what Alexa understands when you say Pink Lamp. She can be very finicky. Try renaming it. Pink being a color, it could be a reserved word. Is the Echo that understand the command in the same room as the lamp? You might need to add the name of the room to your command.

Thanks, but that's not the issue. She understands well.

mattskold

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 11:31:17 am »
Update: So my wife has a different Amazon account (but still sharing Prime etc. as a family). When downloading the Alexa app to her phone, it said both Dots were registered to her account but at the same time it said on my app it was registered to my account... Tried to de-register the Dot on her app (disappeared on my app as well) and registered again. Didn't work. However, for some reason my wife's account is the dominant (lack of a better word and probably accurate) and she didn't have the right skills connected to her account. After adding Smartthings (and all my 50 smart devices, seriously, Amazon has to create a family account for Smart homes), I finally got it to work. But, I still can't figure out why only one Dot was not working, but the second was. And for all future additions I do to Smartthings, I have to update both my and my wife's Alexa app, not very intuitive.
Again, Amazon has to figure out a smarter way for cross-user implementation in a home.