Echo & Alexa Forums

MikeNY

« on: April 10, 2016, 09:37:06 pm »
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:16:01 am by MikeNY »

DParker

Re: Can we revisit NEST commands.. please..
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 10:26:18 pm »
Do you have just the one Nest?  I'm using EcoBee3s myself, but based on conversations about Nest+Echo integration I've followed on other forums...if you have just one thermostat you should be able to say things like l, "Set the temperature to nn degrees" without even referencing the thermostat by name.

DParker

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 11:35:51 pm »
Given your description I should have asked...are you using an IFTT recipe, or direct Echo <-> Nest integration?  Also, you said you're having this problem "most" of the time.  So it does work correctly some times?  If so, is there any discernable pattern to it?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 12:41:51 am »
I'm having one hell of a time with our NEST.

Most of the time Alexa keeps telling me to specify an device and temp. I am saying" Alexa, set thermostat to xx"

In the NEST app I have "Where" = Hallway and "Name" = Thermostat.

IFTTT now works better using "trigger" but I shouldn't need to. I'm finding Alexa is becoming more stupid as the weeks progress.

Any of you have better suggestions for naming and command?

I believe Echo uses the name from the WHERE setting of Nest. So in your case, you might have to say "Alexa, set Hallway to xx degrees"  or "Alexa, set Hallway thermostat to xx degrees."

For my Nest, my WHERE setting is "HOME" and the name is blank. So I can just say "Alexa, set home to xx degrees."

See this discussion for an explanation of how I set mine up (with some screenshots):
http://www.echotalk.org/index.php/topic,395.msg2292.html#msg2292

fstbusa

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 08:22:10 am »
Once you change the name in the nest app.. make sure to remove it from being "paired" with the echo and re-discover devices.  I had a similar issue and this seemed to fix it.

I also only have the "Where" filled in... I deleted the label.  I believe if you have both filled in you have to say both.  So if both yours are Thermostat, you would have to say set Thermostat Thermostat to XX.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 08:25:27 am by fstbusa »

DParker

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 01:17:16 pm »
I'm glad it's finally working.  The good (or maybe better) news is that this should be the least used bit of voice-control functionality in your HA arsenal, given the smarts built into the thermostat itself.  The Echo works fine with my Ecobees, but I have them set up to be so autonomous that I haven't used the voice-control capability more than once since it was added.

fstbusa

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 04:55:42 pm »
Originally I had my where set as "Living Room" and the label as T-stat.  I was able to figure out the echo wanted to have both words said... I always had to say set Living Room T-stat to XX..... I instantly knew that wasn't going to work for me since I only have 1 thermostat in my house so now my Where is Thermostat and rest is blank.

George Jetson

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 08:43:30 pm »
Thanks for this thread.  I felt that I was part of the "slow learning group" My nest is now working very nice.  I don't have to rely on ifttt

Offline jwlv

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 12:27:48 am »
There is one caveat with Nest and Echo (as well as IFTTT or anything else that can control Nest). That is, if you ask to change the temperature too often, Nest will completely ignore subsequent requests for about an hour. It was stated by a 3rd party developer that Nest will accept up to 10 requests per hour. After that, it ignores everything.

I requested thermostat to xx degrees several times today expecting Alexa to argue with me but she functioned flawlessly all day.. I'm hopeful now.

Keifer

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 09:24:48 am »
I have created 2 groups in the Alexa App, "Thermostat" and "Nest". Each group only has one device, my Nest thermostat (which is named WALL-E 😬). Now I can use any of them to command my Nest.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 02:44:35 pm by Keifer »

Offline jwlv

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 01:40:06 pm »
I have created 2 groups in the Alexa App, "Thermostat" and "Nest". Each group only has one device, my Nest thermostat (which is named Wall-E 😬). Now I can use any of them to command my Nest.

That's a great idea! Sort of like creating aliases for the same device.

Keifer

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 05:54:49 pm »
Sorry to hear you're still having difficulty. Both Thermostat and Nest work with me without issue. I can't think why it's working for me and not you. At least you're able to get other references working.

What is your thermostat named in the Nest app?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 06:03:35 pm by Keifer »