Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Alexa got a little smarter with Wemo devices

Offline jwlv

Alexa got a little smarter with Wemo devices
« on: April 05, 2016, 09:42:58 pm »
A few days ago, I got two more Wemo switches. When I added the switches to the Wemo app, I just named them by their network ID which is just a 3 digit hex number. I did this because I did not decide where I was going to use them yet.

The first thing I noticed is that Alexa automatically recognized these two new Wemo devices without having to say "find my devices."

Since then, I connected one Wemo switch to the outside walkway lights and the other to a light in the garage. Then I changed the name of the devices in the Wemo app to Walkway Light and Garage Light.

Last night as I was laying in bed, I opened the Alexa app and looked at the names of the two Wemo switches. Alexa still knew them as the 3 digit hex number. Whenever you ask Alexa to "find my devices" she announces some useless information on every Echo in the house (we have 4 now). People were sleeping, so I figured I would do that later.

It is a surprise to me that I didn't have to say "find my devices." Alexa got the new names all by herself.

Re: Alexa got a little smarter with Wemo devices
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 06:56:14 pm »
A few days ago, I got two more Wemo switches. When I added the switches to the Wemo app, I just named them by their network ID which is just a 3 digit hex number. I did this because I did not decide where I was going to use them yet.

The first thing I noticed is that Alexa automatically recognized these two new Wemo devices without having to say "find my devices."

Since then, I connected one Wemo switch to the outside walkway lights and the other to a light in the garage. Then I changed the name of the devices in the Wemo app to Walkway Light and Garage Light.

Last night as I was laying in bed, I opened the Alexa app and looked at the names of the two Wemo switches. Alexa still knew them as the 3 digit hex number. Whenever you ask Alexa to "find my devices" she announces some useless information on every Echo in the house (we have 4 now). People were sleeping, so I figured I would do that later.

It is a surprise to me that I didn't have to say "find my devices." Alexa got the new names all by herself.

sounds a lot easier than when I installed about 7 wemo insight switches when I first got the echo. 

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 07:03:05 pm »
It's even easier if you control your Wemo devices via a SmartThings hub.

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 05:21:12 pm »
I tried to use the hub but to me it was worse... and lagged terribly. WEMO app is easier to use, setup,   for example: times on at sunset etc. Maybe I'm just more used to it.

I can't speak to more involved setups, as the only WeMo device I have is a single plug that controls a small table lamp that an ST rule turns on (along with 5 other downstairs lights) 30 minutes before sunset, and that's part of a group that's turned off via an Echo.  I haven't noticed any lag there.  But then again, I haven't really been looking for it.

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 05:44:49 pm »
I tried to use the hub but to me it was worse... and lagged terribly. WEMO app is easier to use, setup,   for example: times on at sunset etc. Maybe I'm just more used to it.

It's even easier if you control your Wemo devices via a SmartThings hub.

seems to me, a hub would add a lag to a wemo setup.  Maybe not noticeable but there would be one since there is an extra gateway for it to go through.