Echo & Alexa Forums

DParker

Re: I did it.. Smartthings
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 08:12:58 am »
I've had to repair at least one bit of broken functionality (lights no longer being controlled, rules not firing, etc) every day for the past week, despite ST's "All is well" status reports to the contrary.

ScottinPollock

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 01:36:42 pm »
The only company with a stable history is Insteon.

You left out Vera, Universal Devices, Indigo, Homeseer, Control 4, and Crestron; albeit the latter two are very high end. But all of the above do what they were designed to do very reliably.

As someone who has been around for 2 years with SmartThings, both as a user and developer, what really concerns me is not that things are still broken, but that they haven't been able to follow through on virtually anything. Seriously, just about every aspect of their business (except the marketing and getting acquired) seems paralyzed. Here is a short list I could add many more to:

1.) Mobile apps are in a constant state of unfinish, with admitted placeholders for future features that are never implemented; not to mention are a train wreck in general.

2.) The inability to publish a decent changeLog.

3.) Official integrations have been at a virtual standstill for years, sad given the relative ease in which they're created.

4.) IDE Simulator essentially broken.

5.) Scheduled events being lost, and then AWOL going forward.

6.) Polling has never worked reliably.

7.) No migration path, officially announced it would be delayed to end of year (end of last year).

8.) V2 hardware released unfinished over 6 months ago, promise of local "appengine" still unfulfilled.

9.) Community based app submissions not being reviewed (WTF).

10.) Premature, broken UK rollout.

11.) Lousy documentation.

12.) Inadequate support.

13.) Inadequate QA.

14.) Developer calls are a joke (go view some on YouTube; do these guys seem lost or what?).

I could go on and on but surely you get the point. While I still use SmartThings in a limited fashion, I have stopped developing and building on it until they can demonstrate some level of progress/competence, which has been missing since the get go. Here's hoping that will happen before someone else comes along and eats their lunch.

DParker

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 03:56:09 pm »
As someone who has been around for 2 years with SmartThings, both as a user and developer, what really concerns me is not that things are still broken, but that they haven't been able to follow through on virtually anything. Seriously, just about every aspect of their business (except the marketing and getting acquired) seems paralyzed. Here is a short list I could add many more to:

1.) Mobile apps are in a constant state of unfinish, with admitted placeholders for future features that are never implemented; not to mention are a train wreck in general.

2.) The inability to publish a decent changeLog.

3.) Official integrations have been at a virtual standstill for years, sad given the relative ease in which they're created.

4.) IDE Simulator essentially broken.

5.) Scheduled events being lost, and then AWOL going forward.

6.) Polling has never worked reliably.

7.) No migration path, officially announced it would be delayed to end of year (end of last year).

8.) V2 hardware released unfinished over 6 months ago, promise of local "appengine" still unfulfilled.

9.) Community based app submissions not being reviewed (WTF).

10.) Premature, broken UK rollout.

11.) Lousy documentation.

12.) Inadequate support.

13.) Inadequate QA.

14.) Developer calls are a joke (go view some on YouTube; do these guys seem lost or what?).

I could go on and on but surely you get the point. While I still use SmartThings in a limited fashion, I have stopped developing and building on it until they can demonstrate some level of progress/competence, which has been missing since the get go. Here's hoping that will happen before someone else comes along and eats their lunch.

Other than that, everything's great!!   ;D

ScottinPollock

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 04:48:43 pm »
Jes' some of you guys like to rant.

This is the internet, right? (c;

bkp

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 07:58:15 am »
Have to agree with you about the GE switches.  All of my smart switches, and plug-ins are GE, and the lag is minimal, even with ST Gen1 (I have Gen2, but with all the reports of issues, haven't installed it yet, and may not until Gen3).
Additionally, perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones, but, I haven't seen any issues with ST over the last month.  I don't doubt some are having issues, however, all my devices (I have over 20 smart devices installed) are working as expected, individually, and in routines, through the ST app, as well as Echo voice-based. 

fstbusa

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2016, 08:44:36 am »
The ST platform has been in shambles for the last month... they recently announced there are some major updates coming that is supposed to fix a bunch of stuff.  The ST platform has the potential to be much more powerful than WEMO or any other automation platform available nowdays.

DParker

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2016, 09:12:14 am »
The ST platform has been in shambles for the last month...

No, no...that's just hearsay.  The ST status page says everything is peachy keen.  ;D

{Kevin Bacon}
All is well!!!
{/Kevin Bacon}

fstbusa

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2016, 12:57:59 pm »
The ST platform has been in shambles for the last month...

No, no...that's just hearsay.  The ST status page says everything is peachy keen.  ;D

{Kevin Bacon}
All is well!!!
{/Kevin Bacon}

:o ;D ;D ;D