Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Spot Controlling Smart Devices

0xshenk

Echo Spot Controlling Smart Devices
« on: January 29, 2019, 05:24:55 pm »
I recently purchased an Echo Spot to go along with some meross smart plugs and a few other things.  Everything works fine from my old 2nd gen echo but since Spot has a screen it doesn't show up on the alexa app for iOS.  Also if I tell it to turn off an outlet or light it tells me it can't.

However, on the product page on amazon it says it can control smart home devices.  Is the spot just a glorified alarm clock?  What's the point of saying it can control smart home devices when it cannot? 

Would an Echo Show do what I want?  I just want to control my devices as with the original Echo, but I wanted to upgrade to a version with a display.

Any suggestions?

Offline jwlv

Re: Echo Spot Controlling Smart Devices
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 05:38:27 pm »
All echo devices will show up in your Alexa app. If it doesn't then it's not on the same account. And if it's not on the same account, it can't see the same smart plugs that your other echo device sees.

buffaloquinn

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 06:05:06 pm »
You can check the settings on the spot directly from the screen. See how its configured. It sounds like it's not using the same account or it's possible it's using a different wifi network. Echo devices need to have both of these in sync to work properly together.

Offline tthoben

• Greetings from sunny Singapore!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 05:58:45 pm »
I have both the gen 2 dot and the spot and confirmed both will be able to control your smart devices. Spot has the added function to control via the screen in addition to voice control.

Log in to your Amazon account via pc and check that your spot is linked to the same account, just like what the others have advised you.
Echo Dot @ SG