Echo & Alexa Forums

Sunset in Routines

Pez63

Sunset in Routines
« on: January 27, 2019, 06:14:35 pm »
I would like to be able to turn on a few lamps at sunset every day via Alexa Routines. Is there a way to do this without having to manually adjust the times every few weeks?

Offline jwlv

Re: Sunset in Routines
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 08:42:46 pm »
Currently Alexa does not know the exact time of sunrise/sunset. But the smartplug that you are using probably has an app that does know this. Even the no-name smartplugs from over seas have apps that can automatically turn on/off at the correct sunrise/sunset time. You don't need to use Alexa for it. Just set it up in your smartplug's app. Of course you can still use Alexa to manually control the lamps if you want to.

Pez63

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 09:17:03 pm »
If I ask her what time sunset is, she looks it up and tells me! But ok, thanks!

froglips

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 09:22:54 pm »
Currently Alexa does not know the exact time of sunrise/sunset. But the smartplug that you are using probably has an app that does know this. Even the no-name smartplugs from over seas have apps that can automatically turn on/off at the correct sunrise/sunset time. You don't need to use Alexa for it. Just set it up in your smartplug's app. Of course you can still use Alexa to manually control the lamps if you want to.

But Alexa DOES know the sunset, sunrise times if you ask.  If only it would incorporate the ability as a clock/timer as a device that could trigger other devices or routines.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 08:50:28 am »
I misspoke. Alexa the voice response knows the exact time of sunrise and sunset. Alexa the app doesn't. I guess it's just a matter of time for the Alexa app devs to add that into timers and routines.

Offline kenf

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 03:25:32 pm »
Yeah, the Alexa Routines language is lacking a lot of stuff that would make robust automation.

It's why I use SmartThings for the bulk of the logic handling, Alexa only does what I tell her with my voice.

I've had it now where when I come home after sunset, it will turn on the front porch light. 

briancbb

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 04:16:36 pm »
Reply No 1 is the answer at the moment.  Note you can adjust your 'sunset time' by selecting a location east of where you actually are, an earlier sunset, or west of where you are, a later time.

Offline tthoben

• Greetings from sunny Singapore!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 06:17:03 pm »
If your smart devices are compatible with IFTTT you may be able to do it via that route instead of Alexa routines
Echo Dot @ SG

FarmerBob

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 07:27:32 pm »
I wouldn't think of using an Echo device to do this. There should be an app for your lights or their controller. My LIFX lights all work off their app OF WHICH Alexa instantly discovers a new "Scene" once I create it in the LIFX app to make it available for me to ask for. But nothing that would be "Schedule" (see attached picture), "Time" or anything with Sunset conditions in it. Although, if I have a delay or time over which the lights change that is in the Scene, it's not on the Alexa side.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1614Qj6hcDEbyKzCr3WjiFGLSKvrNOOSi/view?usp=sharing

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 09:48:07 am »
You need IFTTT!  http://www.ifttt.com