Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

How to get Alexa to change from Heat to Cool?

MaryLou

How to get Alexa to change from Heat to Cool?
« on: January 29, 2019, 04:57:06 pm »
I have a digital thermostat that works very nicely with Alexa.  My thermostat is currently set on Heat. I can say

"Alexa,  Thermo (the thermostats name) 74"  and it changes the temperature to 74.

However, if I want to change from heat to cool, what command should I use?   

Re: How to get Alexa to change from Heat to Cool?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 06:27:08 pm »
as far as I know it cannot be done with any thermostat.   It will have to be done in the app or on the thermostat.  also some thermostats have their own non-alexa voice commands for example - honeywell.    what thermostat do you have?

MaryLou

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 07:03:40 pm »
I have a Honeywell Lyric T6 Pro Wi-FI programmable thermostat that I just had installed last week.  So far, I LOVE it.  We don't need a/c right now but I thought there might be an easy command to change from heat to cool.

If not, that's okay.  I can gather up enough energy to push the button on the unit itself or on the app. :)

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 09:52:50 pm »
If it's connected to your echo, just say Alexa, set "Thermostat" to [cool] or [heat] or [off]. Using whatever you named your unit in place of the word in parenthesis. Watch and listen and see what happens. This is supposed to be the right way to do it... your results may not be what I expect, it's late at my house and I'd wake others if I started changing it here to prove it out... but this is what I believe I have done in the recent past... by command anyway. I hope I have remembered it right, as I really don't use it, but I do have mine set up (same T-stat you have) to work with Alexa. I typically only adjust mine on my phone and the Mother-in-law adjusts manually at the control panel (ALL THE DAMN TIME)...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

MaryLou

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 10:39:30 pm »
Thank you!  Works perfectly!!   Very clever device.  I call mine Thermo to make it a shorter name but yes, I can turn it off, on, cool, heat, temperature using Alexa.

However, I can't do that via the Honeywell app.  At least, I can't seem to find a way. 

I like to set my thermostat down to around 66 at night when going to bed but I HATE getting up in the morning when it's that cold.  Now, I can just yell at Alexta to turn up the heat or use my phone.  Nice to have choices!

Thanks again for the help. I'm sure it will also benefit others too.

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 07:28:10 am »

However, I can't do that via the Honeywell app.  At least, I can't seem to find a way. 

I like to set my thermostat down to around 66 at night when going to bed but I HATE getting up in the morning when it's that cold.  Now, I can just yell at Alexta to turn up the heat or use my phone.  Nice to have choices!

My App is also user friendly as well. when you open the app, just tap the name of the Thermo and it opens up a page with all your standard options. From there you can also go to set up schedules and you can get your thermo to turn on the heat before you even wake up... or at least before you know you HAVE to get up.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro

MaryLou

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 04:43:13 pm »
Thank you!!  It worked perfectly!

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 07:33:45 pm »
Thank you!!  It worked perfectly!

Don't be afraid to explore those things... usually the info is there, just have to trip over it to be able to use it.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro

MaryLou

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 09:04:46 pm »
Very true....  but I'm an 81 year old CHICKEN!!!   Don't want to mess up something that's working. ;D

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 07:39:11 am »
Very true....  but I'm an 81 year old CHICKEN!!!   Don't want to mess up something that's working. ;D

You'll be fine, Mar Lou... it's just a bunch of electronics and software... if it can be messed up, it can be fixed. Somehow you've managed to get onto a Forum to discuss this stuff, so you probably have some tech skills you are only short the confidence to use... My 81 yr old Mother-in-law cannot navigate her email without screwing it up once a week or more... and god forbid she ever take on Facebook! She'd be out of her mind taking everyone literally on there and her mind wouldn't;t let her "let it go" ever... I advise against that stuff for folks who are not socially savvy or tech savvy... The Social Stuff is not very "old skool friendly". The social graces are all over the place and mostly missing. I have to set up every medical appointment system (every doctor seems to have their own app) for her and sometimes even have to check her in to appointments the day before or some other "problem" because she can't grasp the concept of electronic transactions and communications.

I have to admit the systems we use are all over the place in *how* they work, and how you interface with them, but I still say DON'T BE AFRAID to push a button unless there's a huge warning saying something like "ALL INFORMATION WILL BE LOST" or another scary phrase. These usually don't show up unless you want to delete something, and you've already determined that's what you wanted anyway... but it makes you think about it a second before clicking the Delete button again...

Sounds like you're doing fine, to me. Carry on with a sense of adventure... Surely at 81, you have a few minutes to "re-do" something that got messed up... AS frustrating as it may be. All it is, is time.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro

MaryLou

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 01:47:24 pm »
LOL!  All we have is time but...  at my age, it's not a whole lot!  When it comes to a computer, I am pretty savvy in the technology area but when it comes to gadgets like Alexa, that's a different ballgame.  We oldies don't learn new tricks quite as quickly and often forget what we have learned.  I was a computer programmer for most of my life starting back in the 60's when we didn't even dream of something like Windows!. We used DOS - all text and NOTHING was automated.  You coded the program, it went to a key punch operator who punched the code out on cards that were later sorted. You had to program the sorters and collators by plugging wires into panels but you had to know how to set the wiring so things sorted the way you want. The cards were then fed into a computer to be read and processed.  The largest program one could write was a whopping 64k. It was a fascinating time.  Seeing it evolve from a computer that took up an entire room to a tiny little phone that can do what was thought to be impossible things.  I built my first computer around 1985.  You couldn't walk into a store and buy one back then.  You bought the parts and either had the store assemble them or did it yourself.  I chose the latter.

I do 99.9% of my shopping on-line, pay all of my monthly bills via the bank's bill pay, have forgotten how to write a check.  I have my own web site as well as a forum for graphic artists and I write beginner tutorials.  Am active on FB and LOVE computer games (a habit from working at Atari). I have a lifetime of computer history.

However, these little gadgets puzzle me! I understand the technology but not always how to make it work for me.  Not only that, I"ve gotten lazy and it's easier to ask a question in forums like this one because I get the benefit of a fast answer and almost always, a correct answer. I appreciate the little things I learn and the help I get from the younger generation because as you age, your thinking process seems to diminish with time.

Forums like this are GREAT because I can read through the questions others have asked and I learn from that.  I now know how to set the volume exactly where I want it - learned that here from reading posts here.  I can read questions about things I hadn't even thought about and learn from them.

I do have another question but will start a new topic for that.  It's nice of you to help your mother with technology.  It's not always easy to adapt to new things and technology is growing faster than we can keep up with.

Thanks for your nice and caring post!!   :) :) :)  Your mom would be proud of you!