Echo & Alexa Forums

Replace Lifeline system with Alexa

cellist

Replace Lifeline system with Alexa
« on: January 16, 2019, 01:14:41 am »
I use a Philips Lifeline pendant system. It includes a single speaker/controller that calls 911 when I press the pendant button. It also includes a feature that detects a fall, even if I don't press the pendant button. I'm satisfied with the system, except that it includes only the single speaker. I'd like to replace the Lifeline system with an Alexa and a couple extra speakers.

Could I use Alexa to make the 911 call and  send a "canned" message stating my name and address?

Does anyone know if there is a device that would interface with Alexa to provide the fall detection of the Lifeline?

TIA

Re: Replace Lifeline system with Alexa
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 04:50:53 am »
 imo, stick with the lifeline system.    alexa will not call 911 because of regulatory rules.    maybe put the police non-emergency number in the  contact list.   

https://bgr.com/2018/11/06/alexa-call-911-not-yet/

Offline jwlv

Re: Replace Lifeline system with Alexa
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 05:40:37 am »
There is always a regular 10 digit phone number for 911. You just have to find it for your municipality.

So if you add the local phone number to your contact list and name it "police" or "emergency", you could have Alexa call it for you.

See this article on komo news (in Washington state) for an example of their local 911 phone number.

https://komonews.com/news/consumer/know-your-10-digit-backup-number-for-911-just-in-case

Keep in mind that calls from Alexa will be semi anonymous to the emergency service. They won't know who you are, where you live, your GPS location, and many other important details if you are actually in a life and death situation. I would only use this as a last resort backup. Don't replace your primary emergency devices with this.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 05:47:25 am by jwlv »