Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo for elderly grandmother

alp116

Echo for elderly grandmother
« on: January 06, 2019, 08:59:10 pm »
I have an Echo at home and was wondering if I got one for my grandmother, and set it up for her, can I use the drop in function to message her at her home? She lives alone about 1.5 hours away and sometimes her phone is left off the hook and it gets frustrating as we cannot contact her.

We're trying to come up with smart options and I was hoping someone could advise me. If I set up an Echo at her house can I register myself as an owner so I can use drop in? Can an echo be registered to more than one account? Thanks for any input!

Laurel

Re: Echo for elderly grandmother
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 01:37:04 am »
An Echo would work fine. Does she have wifi?  She will need that. Yes you can have it registered to you and set it up to her wifi. The problem may be over how attentive she would be to answering the call and saying "Alexa answer".  My husband is 70 and frequently isn't in the same room with the device so doesn't know I have tried to drop in.  If she has wifi, maybe a nanny cam setup with microphone might work so you can check on her (as long as she is willing to have it installed). We use one with our dogs and have apps on our phones to take a look to see if they are okay. There are several threads here about people setting up Echo devices for their elderly parents. Do a search and read all the tips. Good luck.

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 05:22:56 am »
the previous post pretty much covered everything so I will just add, echo can only be registered to one account.    just wondering, any chance the phone is left off the hook on purpose?  one other option to consider that might be easier to work with.  a lot of security cameras have microphones. 

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 06:34:16 pm »

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 06:39:45 pm »