Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa doesn't like my Spotify account?

eppack

Alexa doesn't like my Spotify account?
« on: January 09, 2019, 03:01:02 pm »
Trying to get Alexa to recognize that the Spotify account on my brand new Echo Dot 3rd gen is part of a  premium family plan set up by my daughter. I can login to Spotify on my laptop just fine, using the credentials her invite provided and it correctly shows me as a premium family member. However, when I try to add Spotify to Alexa via the Alexa Settings dialog, I click on Music, then am prompted to enter Spotify credentials. I get the Spotify auth messages, which don't appear to be waiting for input from me. It says I'm logged in as Elaine, and I click on Agree. I briefly see 3 moving horizontal "dots", then it consistently just bounces back to the main Alexa screen without connecting or showing any other messages, error or otherwise.

Interestingly, I can NOT enter the Spotify app *by itself* on my phone (Galaxy S8 Oreo) with the exact credentials from the invite that work on the laptop app. My daughter can login to HER Spotify iphone app with my credentials and it says it's a Premium Family account. It lets me in, but not as a premium family member, presumably as a free member? No messages shown either. Why it works on the laptop but not the phone, not sure.

I have tried this multiple times, but it never works. I've reported this to Spotify, but so far no response.

I'd also had a similar problem with Alexa not recognizing my gmail calendar, and now with this, I wonder if Alexa is the issue here. It ain't exactly brain surgery :)

I should also note that I originally used a different email address on Alexa when I first set it up, but a few days later realized it was not the one I used with Amazon for purchases (in case I ever wanted to do that via the Dot) so I logged out of Alexa and just came in again with the correct address. Is there any way to see what email Alexa thinks I'm using? Could it just be "confused"? I do note there is a "Deregister" option that I didn't see until literally just now, so I didn't do that when I logged in with the new email.

Thoughts?

elaine
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 03:04:33 pm by eppack »