Echo & Alexa Forums

Skills & Games freeze alexa app

pitzerwm

Skills & Games freeze alexa app
« on: January 04, 2019, 11:34:24 pm »
Suddenly when I go to skills & games from the left menu, it freezes/kills the app.  I uninstalled the app and reinstalled; the same thing occurs.

I opened my app on a tablet and it doesn't do this.

Any ideas on how to fix??

Re: Skills & Games freeze alexa app
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 12:13:23 am »
what phone and what app?  how full is the storage space on your phone?

pitzerwm

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 01:47:53 am »
Samsung Note 3, Android 5, 1/2 mem used,  app is Amazon Alexa, Client V=1.24.204667.0,  app version 2.2.245855.0

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 02:06:15 am »
the minimum android version that works with alexa is 5.1, that could be the problem also you have an older phone.  one thing you can try is to clear your system cache.  the following will help you do it.   

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-27708

pitzerwm

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 05:49:36 pm »
Thanks for your help.  I tried wiping cache, sadly that didn't solve it.  Why has it been working for a year and suddenly not?

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 06:11:47 pm »
Thanks for your help.  I tried wiping cache, sadly that didn't solve it.  Why has it been working for a year and suddenly not?

apps and software is constantly changing.   you could have had one update too many before some features became incompatible.  but then it is my guess based on the info you gave me. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 06:15:57 pm by renegade600 »

pitzerwm

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 12:15:55 pm »
Thanks again.  Lucky, I have a number of tablets and one has 5.1 so, for now, I am good.

clloudermilk

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 12:08:31 pm »
I'm on Android 6.0.1 and it does the same thing, Galaxy S5, half of storage used, app data has been cleared, uninstalled and re installed but still freezes on games and skills and then closes app

reeve11

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 01:56:54 pm »
I reported this issue around October 2018, when I first noticed it was happening to me. It seems to have been caused by an August 2018 Alexa App Update. There is a green indicator dot next to Skills and Games, and when you clicked to see why, it locked up before fully displaying the Skills and Games tab. I worked back and forth with level 2 support, they showed me how to capture data on my phone through developer options, I've provided crash data twice from my phone and app, and they told me after 6 weeks of this that they were aware of the problem and were working on it. This was nearly 7 months ago and NOTHING has happened except removing the red indicator next to Skills and Games, but the app still locks up. This app looks like it's not being worked on to the degree it should be. Support has been pathetically poor and never informed me WHY it occurred, despite asking. Ticket # 0194419316. I'm on the phone with them again and tell me they never heard of this! Then, the agent told me it was resolved march 15th. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing any more at Amazon. I'm providing more documents and history.. AGAIN, with probably the rudest and most condescending agent I've ever spoken to. She directed me to report it from the app and a new ticket is supposed to be created. I did, and get a response that I need to call the same number again, so I'm fighting their ridiculous support policies on which they can't even follow or know what to do. Amazon isn't going to succeed with anything at this rate. But, not to fear! I will get this reported come hell or high water! It seems Hell is already here...

Update 12/08/19 - I contacted them again and the ticket had been closed without resolution and they can't reopen it. The problem has changed to now when clicking Skills and Games tab, the Skills and Games section now displays for about 2 seconds before locking up the app. I have opened a new ticket #0421012364, provided new crash data from my phone when the app crashes and waiting on response. It's been 8 days now and no response. The Alexa App support is pathetic.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 01:58:58 pm by reeve11 »