Echo & Alexa Forums

Is it possible to control outdoor security flood lights

Jimnibob

Is it possible to control outdoor security flood lights
« on: January 03, 2019, 08:38:10 am »
Hi,

Does anyone know of any outdoor security floodlights that can be set up to Alexa or a way of doing this?

Thanks

Re: Is it possible to control outdoor security flood lights
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 10:19:12 am »
yes you can.  there are several ways of doing it using a smart switch or smart floodlight bulb.

dragon123

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 12:18:24 pm »
Hi,

Does anyone know of any outdoor security floodlights that can be set up to Alexa or a way of doing this?

Thanks

If you're technical you can run a server like Domoticz and set it up that way. But if you're looking for an out-of-the-box solution, for instance the ring security cameras work with alexa: https://blog.ring.com/2017/06/22/ring-video-doorbells-and-security-cameras-now-work-with-amazon-alexa-on-echo-show/

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 07:36:01 pm »
You might be over-thinking this. A security flood light is usually setup in one of two ways.
1. The light turns on at night and stays on all night. It turns itself off during the day.
-or-
2. The light turns on only when it senses motion near by.

So in these terms, why do you even need Alexa to control these security flood lights?

But I suppose you might want more control over the security flood lights and be able to turn them on/off at will.
For that, you could get something like a smart lightbulb socket. I did a search on Amazon and found this:
https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Wifi-Bulb-Socket-Pack/dp/B07B9RP667
It's a pair of light bulb sockets that works with Alexa and Google Home for $34.99.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 10:27:42 pm by jwlv »

anthonylaizure86

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 10:37:26 am »
I have my flood lights setup on a GE smart switch. This allows me to set up a time for the to come on and off or just as I please via, voice, app, or switch. They stay off mostly. I have them setup to come on after 4:30pm till 7am, when my geo fence sees me or my wife coming home. Other than that they are off. For house light security so my house isn't completely dark I have my front porch lights on at night and a separate flood light with dusk to dawn sensor in my backyard on a separate dimmer switch. I leave the backyard one on low to just give enough light that someone could be seen by me, neighbors, and cameras but being on the dimmer I can set to full bright when I need the light for entertaining a such.