Echo & Alexa Forums

Help with new Tap

pipewrench

Help with new Tap
« on: April 07, 2016, 06:56:54 pm »
Hi, Pittsburgher here, but now living outside of the city. I bought Alexa Tap primarily to listen to a local PGH station, WYEP. I was able to play it for about a week, but now Alexa says that she can't find it on TuneIn or IHeartRadio. Upon looking at both on my laptop, I could only find it on TuneIn, which is fine. When I ask Alexa to play it, she says she can't find it. Not sure what the deal is...any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

mike27oct

Re: Help with new Tap
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 02:24:26 am »
First of all, can any other devices you have get this TuneIn station?  Try getting the station that way to see if same issue exists.  Secondly, look up station at TuneIn.com and find the station.  Can It be played in your browser?  Often, stations change their name slightly and that can cause an issue, so get exact name.

I have my best success by prefacing my Alexa tunein requests by saying, Alexa play tunein station XXX (e.g. Jazz Wyoming; sometimes call letters don't work, especially if there are more streaming stations using the call letters (saying KUWL does not get the jazz station.)  This is often the case with streaming-only stations.  You could also check the station website for info, too.

Basically, you have asked a TuneIn question and not a Tap or Alexa question.  You just have to get the station name correct, and it appears you haven't, so Alexa is "stumped". I hope this post helps you for looking in the right direction for your answer.

pipewrench

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 03:39:18 pm »
Hi, I tried doing what you said, still no luck.  If anyone wants to give it a shot as well, I'd appreciate it.  WYEP is listed on TuneIn, but not on IHR.  Like I said, it worked for about a week on Alexa, then just stopped.  I sent the station an email, but I'm not sure what that will do.  I bought the Tap, primarily so I could listen to this station and not have to listen to it through my laptop anymore.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  :)

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 06:42:00 pm »
what is the full and exact command you are giving?   

pipewrench

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 07:21:23 am »
Alexa play Tune In station WYEP.  Any many variations thereof. 

dfine1966

Help with new Tap
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 08:58:28 am »
Just tried it manually through the Alexa app in tune in it it says wyep Fm is currently not available, not supported.  That is how Alexa finds it through her connection through tune in.  If you can connect on your phone with Tune in and get the station you can directly connect your phone through Bluetooth to play tunein and the station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 09:00:04 am by dfine1966 »

pipewrench

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 09:30:21 am »
I'll try...but why shouldn't it work on the Tap as well as the phone though?  And again, it did work on Alexa as recently as last weekend.....

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 10:52:07 am »
Alexa play Tune In station WYEP.  Any many variations thereof.

a bit of research shows the station is unavailable in tunein at this time.  there is nothing you can do about it and it makes no difference if it was on last week.  It is just not available at this time.  It is not to say it will not because available again because it could at any time.  All you can do is wait. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 10:55:29 am by renegade600 »

pipewrench

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 01:48:25 pm »
I went to the TuneIn site and it is there....it is there....I played it on my laptop...but I'm tired of the terrible sound, which is why I bought the Tap in the first place....  If you go through the Alexa app then Music then TuneIn, you cannot find it. 

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 04:02:29 pm »
just because it is working in your browser does not mean it will work on alexa or other mobile devices.  different software.  As I said, it is unavailable for alexa at this time.   

mike27oct

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 12:42:02 am »
Agree with folks above.  Streaming stations come and go on TuneIn.  Sometimes it is because the station's black box that processes the station's audio for uploading onto an internet stream is broken.  Sometimes it is some other reason, like they have decided to not stream anymore.  Now, if as you say, you can get it if you go direct to Tunein, then pick it up on your phone or laptop and Bluetooth it to your Tap until things return to "normal" again.  At least you have found out about other options.