Echo & Alexa Forums

Setup confusion - the Amazon-xxx wifi stage

Speedology

Setup confusion - the Amazon-xxx wifi stage
« on: December 30, 2018, 12:34:13 pm »
I thought I’d add my experience of setting up Alexa on a Samsung Android phone with a second generation Echo.   I followed the setup procedure as guided by the Alexa app but got stuck at the point where you switch to the phone's settings for wifi and select the network named AmazonXXX (where X can be anything).  When I chose this it would say "Connected, no internet" and I assumed there was a problem.  You will find advice on the web about this issue which only adds to the confusion here.  For example a site named guidingtech.com states  “Once you connect to this Amazon Wi-Fi, you'll get a notification saying Wi-Fi has no Internet access on Android. Tap the notification and select Yes from the pop-up menu.”

After hours of fruitless head scratching, rebooting of the router etc. I decided to ignore the fact that the special Amazon wifi was showing as connected but with no internet (whatever that means!) and just clicked on “continue” in the Alexa app.  I then was able to carry on with the setup process including connecting my Echo to my real wi-fi name (SSID) by entering the wifi password into the Alexa app.

So ignore advice to tap on the warning box and click on yes!  At least this worked for me.  Good luck!
 ;)

dragon123

Re: Setup confusion - the Amazon-xxx wifi stage
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 01:46:01 pm »
Any device (aside from connected a modem or router) that you set up via it's own wifi and not using a cable will have 'no internet', quite logical when you think about it  ;)

Once the setup is done, both the device and your phone/laptop will connect to your regular wifi (you know, the one from your modem/router that is connected to your internet provider) and so both will then have internet.

Speedology

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 01:19:52 pm »
Any device (aside from connected a modem or router) that you set up via it's own wifi and not using a cable will have 'no internet', quite logical when you think about it  ;)

Once the setup is done, both the device and your phone/laptop will connect to your regular wifi (you know, the one from your modem/router that is connected to your internet provider) and so both will then have internet.

Sure, but I reckon it's only logical if you have prior knowledge.  Which I didn't.  The phone announces a problem and asks you to click OK.  This doesn't fix the problem and is pointless.  Geeks might understand why this happens but the vast majority of owners aren't geeks.

Amazon should alert users to ignore this warning and just proceed with the setup.  That is my point.

asianrocker

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 06:43:41 am »
Their instructions were pretty clear the very first time I set mine up. I don't see why you were confused.

Speedology

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 08:04:02 am »
Their instructions were pretty clear the very first time I set mine up. I don't see why you were confused.
Could it be that you’re not thinking clearly about the issue?  ;)

asianrocker

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 10:57:35 am »
No the instructions if I remember correctly said choose the echo bre wifi then click continue on the app.

Don't know why you missed that part.

That's what I meant was clear instructions.

Nothing about connecting to Amazon WiFi itself.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 10:59:06 am by asianrocker »