Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Multiple Echo Dots On Same Amazon Account And Same Spotify Premium Account

ChandlerHeel

Happy New Year all! We got four Echo Dots for the family for Christmas (one for each bedroom) and I am still figuring out everything they can do...I think I have discovered about 1% of what they can do so far.  :)

Question on using Spotify on them. Sorry for what I am sure is a repeat question...I don't see this exact scenario in a quick look. We have Spotify Premium (one account) for the family and I have changed the app to use it as the music service. I initially set them all under our Amazon Prime account and Drop In and Announce was a breeze. However, this was not allowing us to play Spotify independently on each Dot. Asking a Dot to play music would seem to randomly control one of the others and not the one that responded. I know there is the Multi-Room music feature, but our music tastes are so vastly different (especially between me and my teenage daughters) that I could never use the multi-room thing and I would be fine. From reading, I believe using Spotify independently on each Dot under one Amazon account is not possible? As of now, we have set up two of them to be under different individual Amazon accounts and this makes Spotify work as needed I believe. (Ours and one other one are still under our main Amazon and that *seems* to work OK and I am not sure why, but that's probably secondary.) With two daughters' Dots using different Amazon accounts, I believe Announce isn't even possible. And, Drop In has to be done through the app on my phone? Can Amazon Music be configured like this to play independently under one Amazon account? Might consider changing if so.

Thanks for any insight!

buffaloquinn

There are a lot of limitations at the moment when you use different accounts on different Echo devices in the household. Unfortunately when using music services tailoring to different music tastes is very problematic. It would be great is Alexa allowed each device to use it's own music account but that is just not possible right now.
This is going to sound simplistic, but if the goal is to be able to allow each person play their Spotify on their Dot, then let them connect their (phone, tablet, Ipod) to the Dot via Bluetooth. They can use Spotify's app and the Dot just acts as the speaker. Everything else will act as normal on the Dot, but no, you won't be able to issue voice commands for the music itself.