Echo & Alexa Forums

Bought Echo plus for mom. Any "gotchas" using 6th gen Airport Extreme?

JP

Hi!

First post here. I bought an Echo plus for my 80 year-old mom for Christmas.  I thought she already had a wireless router for her iMac, but I was wrong. She connects using a cat 5 connection (basic DSL modem).  Are there any "gotchas" if I send her a 6th gen Airport Extreme I have laying around?  I live in CA and she is in Missouri so I can't just pop over and set it up for her.  However, she is savvy enough to do basic setups.

TIA and happy new year.

JP

Re: Bought Echo plus for mom. Any "gotchas" using 6th gen Airport Extreme?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 04:05:09 pm »
it is an older, discontinued router.  though apple claims to continue to support it, who really knows.  I don't see why it would not work.   just make sure it is reset to factory and make sure the dot is de-registered from your account if you got it through amazon.    and make sure she has a smartphone :-)  you can change most settings using a computer but you cannot change all settings. 

JP

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 04:16:38 pm »
Hi!

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, Apple kicked a decent router to the curb.  Pity. 

The product is the Echo Plus, not the Dot, but hopefully that won't make a difference.  The Echo was designated as a "gift" when purchased from Amazon, so we won't have to go through the deregistration hassle, but good call on that for anyone else reading this post.  Mom does have an Amazon account, so that is a step we won't have to take either.

I did NOT know about the smartphone issue.  Thanks!  She has a flip phone.  My sister does have an Android, so I may need to recruit her help in the future (not a problem).

Thanks again!

JP

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 04:23:42 pm »
Hi!

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, Apple kicked a decent router to the curb.  Pity. 

The product is the Echo Plus, not the Dot, but hopefully that won't make a difference.  The Echo was designated as a "gift" when purchased from Amazon, so we won't have to go through the deregistration hassle, but good call on that for anyone else reading this post.  Mom does have an Amazon account, so that is a step we won't have to take either.

I did NOT know about the smartphone issue.  Thanks!  She has a flip phone.  My sister does have an Android, so I may need to recruit her help in the future (not a problem).

Thanks again!

JP

I forget what I read when I said dot  :-)  but if you bought it as a gift there should be no problems.  Just double check your account to make sure.  good luck.