Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa App Location Incorrect

parshal

Alexa App Location Incorrect
« on: December 27, 2018, 01:30:03 pm »
First post with a tough question that Amazon tech support could not answer.  Here are the details.

My daughter has an Echo at college and has for about a year.
I got an Echo and Wand for Christmas located at the same location as my address on record with Amazon.
I installed the Alexa app and everything defaulted to her location.
I de-registered her Echo, deleted Alexa and reinstalled.
Everything showed up at her address in college.
I manually updated all the locations in the Alexa app.
I de-registered all devices on my Amazon account and re-registered.
I rebooted my iPhone 8.
I deleted all locations from my phone via system settings under location services.
I have uninstalled/reinstalled all Amazon apps on the phone.
When I ask Alexa for the weather it gives me weather for the correct town.

Here's the issue.  When I open the Alexa app it shows my daughter's location for the weather.  If I enable location services for Alexa it will show her location and then change to my current location (home address).  If I then close the app, disable location services and open the app it takes me back to her weather.  I've never been to that location and certainly haven't had location services turned on in that location.

Very, very strange.  Neither Amazon support nor I can find any setting showing her address in Alexa, my devices on Amazon or the phone.

Re: Alexa App Location Incorrect
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 02:55:44 pm »

parshal

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 03:59:52 pm »
Hmmm, interesting.  I'd never seen that before.  Thanks.

I followed the instructions and did "offload app".  What that did was simply delete Alexa and it re-installed when I clicked on it again.  The problem persists.

I set location services on for Alexa and opened the app and it showed my location.  I closed it, disabled location services, opened it again and it showed my current location briefly and then switched to my daughter's location.  Arrrgh.

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 04:15:50 pm »
the only other thing I can think of is to delete the system cache partition.  could not find a link to it. 

don't know why the previous instructions deleted your alexa app.  Not supposed to do that.  It was only supposed to delete temp files and logins. 

parshal

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 04:21:53 pm »
I found the mention of the system cache partition, too, after looking more into what you posted.  I'm trying to find more about that.  I did do what was listed here but I'm not sure if it's the same thing or not.  It had no effect.

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 04:32:43 pm »
I found the mention of the system cache partition, too, after looking more into what you posted.  I'm trying to find more about that.  I did do what was listed here but I'm not sure if it's the same thing or not.  It had no effect.

I don't have an iphone but it is two different things in the android phones.  It is usually considered a fix all.  I will assume it is similar on the iphone.   

do you have alexa installed on any other device?   If so, make sure location is changed on those too?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 04:35:49 pm by renegade600 »

parshal

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 05:02:12 pm »
No, it's not installed anywhere else.  However, I uninstalled it from my iPhone and installed Alexa on my iPad and I get the same issue.  So, it's not a phone/iPad issue.

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 05:34:59 pm »
are you and your daughter using the same account?  or ever did?   if so, would she have it installed on more than one device?

parshal

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 05:40:55 pm »
Yes, hers was on my account until I de-registered it.  I'll see if she has Alexa installed on her iPhone and ask her to delete it.

parshal

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 05:50:14 pm »
She did have Alexa on her iPhone and has now deleted it.  No change to my issue.  It still defaults to her city when I open Alexa on either my iPhone or iPad.

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 05:53:53 pm »
if she just deleted it, it might take time.  other than that, I am at a lost and really can't think of anything else to try.   sorry