Echo & Alexa Forums

will echo dot 3rd gen use minutes up from 711 speakout cell plans when calling?

newdotuser

I am new to the echo dot. I have had a google home mini in the past that used its own assigned number to make calls.

With the echo dot I notice you have to register your cell number to place calls. When making a call the person on the other end sees the cell number I registered with. Does this mean everytime I use alexa to call that its' eating up cell phone minutes?

I am setting this up for my elderly mother who has a pay as you go cell plan from 711 (speakout). If it does eat up her minutes then there is no real point to her using alexa to make calls. I  was hoping alexa would be a free way for her to call and not eat her minutes. Can someone clarify? I have read articles where it says it doesn't eat her minutes and other articles that say it does.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 05:42:58 pm by newdotuser »

I used google voice number for my alex  :-)  however, to answer your question, as long as she is using the echo to make the calls, her minutes will not be touched  :-)

buffaloquinn

You register the cell phone so that Alexa will give that number as the calling party for Caller ID. The calls themselves are VOIP, so no minutes used.