Echo & Alexa Forums

Cannot Connect Echo Dot to Spotify

dcsuiter

Cannot Connect Echo Dot to Spotify
« on: December 26, 2018, 04:43:33 pm »
First time posting, hope I'm in the right spot.

I have been on every single board I can find and every help avenue I can find and cannot figure this out.  First, I am not very tech savvy.  I received two Echo Dots for Christmas and I cannot seem to connect on Spotify.  I have been to spotify, and it says that Alexa is authorized.  When I go in and try to change the default music provider, I can see spotify but it won't let me click on it.  When I try to set it up, alexa says there is an error and won't let me get any further. 

If someone knows an easy fix or any fix to this, please respond.  All I want to do is play some music and I am so super disappointed with this product as it advertises as so easy to use.

Please help if you can, thanks.

Re: Cannot Connect Echo Dot to Spotify
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 04:50:23 pm »
is the following how you are setting up spotify?   also do you have the free or premium account?  finally what country are you in?

1  Go to Settings, then Music & Media and link your Spotify account.
2  Tap Choose default music services and select Spotify.

dcsuiter

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 04:55:25 pm »
Thanks so much for responding.

Yes, except my settings says "Music", not "Music & Media".

I do have a premium account and I am in the US.

When I go to Account Settings, I choose Default Services and Spotify is greyed out.

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 05:21:42 pm »
it is greyed out because you are not linked to your spotify account.   I just unlinked my account to see what happens and it was greyed out in default too. 

dcsuiter

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 05:26:36 pm »
I appreciate that, but I don't know how.  I have already linked it in Spotify.

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 05:44:28 pm »
I appreciate that, but I don't know how.  I have already linked it in Spotify.

just to clarify.  under music, did you click on spotify, it should take you to their website.  logged in, agreed to a bunched of alexa and spotify notices?  back to alexa, then click on default to make spotify your default?

also make sure you are linked to the right account :-)  I just found I had a couple of accounts in my password manager for spotify when I relinked my account. 

if you done all of that, then the only thing I can think of is you have more than three devices linked.  thought it should not make a difference unless it is offline listening.