Echo & Alexa Forums

Sorry I didn't find a device named my lamp

liderbug

Sorry I didn't find a device named my lamp
« on: December 26, 2018, 01:46:56 pm »
I have 3 dots, kitchen, bedroom, family room.   I've added 5 smart plugs.  From the family room I can say "alexa, turn X on"  (ding) it's on.  However from the kitchen or the bedroom I get "Sorry I didn't find ...".  None of them.  From my android alexa app I can work all of them.
What do I do to fix this?

Thanks

Re: Sorry I didn't find a device named my lamp
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 04:37:02 pm »
have they ever work?  also are you able to get the weather or news from the dots not working?   to help troubleshoot, try moving them closer to the router to see if the signal is a problem. 

liderbug

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 05:24:12 pm »
Oh ya.  All 3 - They do everything Alexa what time is it?  add butter to the shopping list.  what's 2 plus 2.  anything I want - except "turn 'my lamp' on" ... I'm sorry ....

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 05:30:52 pm »
based on what you say, there is a chance this is an alexa problem and not on your end.  lately there have been reports with problems with names.  I am having an issue with a name too.  able to turn it off using alexa but it cannot be found to turn it on.  no problem with google home.  I think it will fix itself as another name issue did last week.   

you can wait a day or so to see if it fixes itself or you can create a group with turning on lamp as its only entry and see if it will work. 

DLorenzosEcho

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 07:21:26 pm »
Hey Liderbug - Not sure if this helps you much or not...but after a recent episode of me and my friend James Beam hanging out on a Sat afternoon and evening... my wife tells me that first of all her name is Alexa. NOT AlexIS.  Apparently, AlexA doesn't like being called AlexIS and will not respond.  Hmpf! 
=)
Hope you get it solved my friend!