Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Using an Echo Button to initiate Drop In

Clintd87

Using an Echo Button to initiate Drop In
« on: December 22, 2018, 12:59:40 pm »
I’m wondering if it is possible to drop in on a family member by hitting an Echo Button and initiating a routine. I would like for my grandfather to be able to drop in on me from his home without using a verbal command. This will be most useful, however, for my 2 year old twins. I’d like to create buttons so that they can drop in on their grandparents whenever they like.
Does anyone know if this is possible?

buffaloquinn

Re: Using an Echo Button to initiate Drop In
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 05:26:42 pm »
I don't see any way to non-verbally issues a drop in call in a routine. The closest thing I can suggest would be to have the Echo Button send a message to the device you want to talk to, i.e., "Grandkids would like to talk to grandpa", & then you could vebally issue the droop in command. Basically it would be like a doorbell then.
I think it is a big hole in the capability of routines that we cannot send a non-verbal "Alexa, do this" from inside a routine. It would open up endless possibilities.

Clintd87

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 08:32:31 pm »
I don't see any way to non-verbally issues a drop in call in a routine. The closest thing I can suggest would be to have the Echo Button send a message to the device you want to talk to, i.e., "Grandkids would like to talk to grandpa", & then you could vebally issue the droop in command. Basically it would be like a doorbell then.
I think it is a big hole in the capability of routines that we cannot send a non-verbal "Alexa, do this" from inside a routine. It would open up endless possibilities.

Thank you! That’s a good idea!
It seems like this workaround will only work for devices on the same network. I’d like to find a way for an Echo Button to initiate a drop in conversation with a family member 50 miles away, on their Echo.
For now, i have the button set up as an announcement. When the toddlers hit it, Alexa gives instructions on how to drop in on their grandparents with a verbal command. They can’t say “Alexa, drop in on grandpa’s living room” yet, but for now an adult can help them out.
I was just going for the “cute factor”, hoping that they could learn to call their grandparents on their own.
Thanks a lot!

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 12:34:55 am »
What if you put two echo devices close together so that when someone hits the button it'll trigger a routine that turns up the volume, says the phrase "Alexa drop in on xxxxxx" so that the second echo device can hear it?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 12:40:06 am by jwlv »

buffaloquinn

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 06:47:22 pm »
What if you put two echo devices close together so that when someone hits the button it'll trigger a routine that turns up the volume, says the phrase "Alexa drop in on xxxxxx" so that the second echo device can hear it?
That does work but is not particularly cost effective.