Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa got a little smarter with Wemo devices

Offline jwlv

Alexa got a little smarter with Wemo devices
« on: April 05, 2016, 09:42:58 pm »
A few days ago, I got two more Wemo switches. When I added the switches to the Wemo app, I just named them by their network ID which is just a 3 digit hex number. I did this because I did not decide where I was going to use them yet.

The first thing I noticed is that Alexa automatically recognized these two new Wemo devices without having to say "find my devices."

Since then, I connected one Wemo switch to the outside walkway lights and the other to a light in the garage. Then I changed the name of the devices in the Wemo app to Walkway Light and Garage Light.

Last night as I was laying in bed, I opened the Alexa app and looked at the names of the two Wemo switches. Alexa still knew them as the 3 digit hex number. Whenever you ask Alexa to "find my devices" she announces some useless information on every Echo in the house (we have 4 now). People were sleeping, so I figured I would do that later.

It is a surprise to me that I didn't have to say "find my devices." Alexa got the new names all by herself.

Re: Alexa got a little smarter with Wemo devices
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 06:56:14 pm »
A few days ago, I got two more Wemo switches. When I added the switches to the Wemo app, I just named them by their network ID which is just a 3 digit hex number. I did this because I did not decide where I was going to use them yet.

The first thing I noticed is that Alexa automatically recognized these two new Wemo devices without having to say "find my devices."

Since then, I connected one Wemo switch to the outside walkway lights and the other to a light in the garage. Then I changed the name of the devices in the Wemo app to Walkway Light and Garage Light.

Last night as I was laying in bed, I opened the Alexa app and looked at the names of the two Wemo switches. Alexa still knew them as the 3 digit hex number. Whenever you ask Alexa to "find my devices" she announces some useless information on every Echo in the house (we have 4 now). People were sleeping, so I figured I would do that later.

It is a surprise to me that I didn't have to say "find my devices." Alexa got the new names all by herself.

sounds a lot easier than when I installed about 7 wemo insight switches when I first got the echo. 

DParker

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 07:03:05 pm »
It's even easier if you control your Wemo devices via a SmartThings hub.

DParker

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 05:21:12 pm »
I tried to use the hub but to me it was worse... and lagged terribly. WEMO app is easier to use, setup,   for example: times on at sunset etc. Maybe I'm just more used to it.

I can't speak to more involved setups, as the only WeMo device I have is a single plug that controls a small table lamp that an ST rule turns on (along with 5 other downstairs lights) 30 minutes before sunset, and that's part of a group that's turned off via an Echo.  I haven't noticed any lag there.  But then again, I haven't really been looking for it.

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 05:44:49 pm »
I tried to use the hub but to me it was worse... and lagged terribly. WEMO app is easier to use, setup,   for example: times on at sunset etc. Maybe I'm just more used to it.

It's even easier if you control your Wemo devices via a SmartThings hub.

seems to me, a hub would add a lag to a wemo setup.  Maybe not noticeable but there would be one since there is an extra gateway for it to go through.