Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa and Music Cast

blackbeagle

Alexa and Music Cast
« on: December 19, 2018, 01:04:11 pm »
I just purchased a Yamaha RX V683 with Music Cast built in. I believe I set it up correctly and have synced it to my phone. So I say, "Alexa...turn on living room". The receiver turns on. From there, I can play music from my phone. I can choose play from : Server, from the phone itself, Spotify, XM, etc. Everything works.

However, I want it to do something differently.

I want to say, "Alexa..play Christmas music". Right now, it can only play from the Echo speaker and not through my Yamaha, even though it's paired (I believe it's paired). Under Smart Home Skills, I have 3 things listed: Ring, Sensi thermostat, and Musiccast Smart Home.

But like I said, it's not working because the music is played through the Dot and not the Yamaha system.

Need help.

blackbeagle

Re: Alexa and Music Cast
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 10:03:43 am »
Bump

dragon123

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 01:48:30 pm »
"You believe it's paired"? You did pair both devices using bluetooth, and then connected to the yamaha, right..?

blackbeagle

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 03:38:36 pm »
"You believe it's paired"? You did pair both devices using bluetooth, and then connected to the yamaha, right..?

It has to be paired because it's working. When I say, "Alexa, turn on Living Room", the receiver turns on. However, when I say, "Alexa, play 80s music", it plays from the Echo and not from the receiver (which is what I want). How can I fix that?

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 04:14:25 pm »
who is the default music source.  try specifying another one to see if that could be the problem.  for example play 80 's music from (music source)

blackbeagle

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 04:17:59 pm »
who is the default music source.  try specifying another one to see if that could be the problem.  for example play 80 's music from (music source)

Right now, when I say, "Alexa, play 80s music", it plays from the Echo speaker, which sounds like crap. That's why I connected it to the Yamaha via bluetooth. So when I say, "Alexa...play 80s music", it should play through the speakers connected to my Yamaha.

The default music source shouldn't matter..I don't think.

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 05:33:27 pm »

Right now, when I say, "Alexa, play 80s music", it plays from the Echo speaker, which sounds like crap. That's why I connected it to the Yamaha via bluetooth. So when I say, "Alexa...play 80s music", it should play through the speakers connected to my Yamaha.

The default music source shouldn't matter..I don't think.

it is called troubleshooting.  however if you don't want help then that is fine with me.   good luck 

dragon123

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 02:30:07 pm »

It has to be paired because it's working. When I say, "Alexa, turn on Living Room", the receiver turns on. However, when I say, "Alexa, play 80s music", it plays from the Echo and not from the receiver (which is what I want). How can I fix that?

Because those are 2 different things... I can turn on and off a lot of things in my home using alexa, but STREAMING to something usually uses BT (like my onkyo receiver), sometimes it is not streaming from a dot or phone but uses its own direct internet connection and operating system (like my FireTV).

I don't use this particular skill and only googled it quickly, but did you read the manual? Especially the bottom line:
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/contents/audio_visual/musiccast/alexa.html