Echo & Alexa Forums

Solder a microphone audio IN jack to Dot

theitguyfromny

Solder a microphone audio IN jack to Dot
« on: December 06, 2018, 12:34:20 pm »
Right up-front: I have read that these devices have multiple microphones that help to determine where you are in a room, blah blah blah. I don't care about that, so please don't respond with why I do NOT want to do this; I want to know HOW to do this.

I want to solder a microphone 1/8 audio in jack to the dot board. Not that it matters, but this is so I can interact with reminders and music in the shower...take smart home up a notch, ey?

Once I have the mic jack, I can do a million things from there: run a long wire (keeping the electricity-requiring Dot safe wherever), connect a BT adapter..whatever...but I don't have to worry about getting the Dot wet or even damaged from moisture.

All I need is to know exactly WHERE on the board to solder my 2 connections to. I found a great article: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Amazon+Echo+Dot+Teardown/61304

It shows some high res photos of the board, so that's a start.

Thanks all!

fstbusa

Re: Solder a microphone audio IN jack to Dot
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 08:24:31 am »
If you feel that you're capable of doing this, it wouldn't be hard to open one up and trace the connections from the multiple mics to the board to determine what you are trying to accomplish.