Echo & Alexa Forums

"Third party action required"

Northern_blades

"Third party action required"
« on: December 15, 2018, 04:58:18 pm »
So, I have what I would think is not a terribly strange question.   However, I have been unable to figure out simple solution, or even reasonable solutions.

Simplest explanation, I wish to use my Echo dot, at work, to listen to My Sirius radio.
Three significant complications.
-Their internet kicks you out, every 3 hours.
-You do not disconnect from the network, only the internet
-my phone is not permitted on the floor.

Bigger problems,
Their internet requires that you connect to the network, Then go to a web page, to accept the terms and conditions.

More problems, I can not switch networks,  or  require a network without going through the set up.

So,  The current process, following a disconnect,   Requires.
Use of my phone (bad)
Holding the set up button (to get red circle)
Going through set up
Selecting the network (on my phone)
going to the web page verification page and clicking the accept terms.
waiting for it to fully connect.
(but it still does not work)
(Unplugging the unit)
Replug the unit
And then listen to music.

This feels......   ridiculous.
Is there any way to  (reacquire/reset/switch network)  Without using the cell phone/app?)
Is there any way to  forget/re-select a network, without having to go through the "first time set up"

is there any way to tell it to accept the terms and conditions without the app?

Because if I constantly need my phone, to keep the thing running,  it kind of defeats the point.

PS   Do not ask my why the phone is taboo and the "bluetooth speaker"  is acceptable.

buffaloquinn

Re: "Third party action required"
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 05:19:11 pm »
The Echo devices will reacquire the last network network connection it had automatically, so if you don't change it, that shouldn't be an issue. If you take the Dot home to use it there, you will have to go through set up, no way around that. I think the issue is how your work network allocates internet access. If you have to go through the "Accept terms & conditions" for each time you access it, you're screwed. The dots have no user accessable controls (unlike Spot & Show) so the app is the only way to do this. I don't even think you could do it on the Show & Spot because of the need to access the web page.
Is there any way you can use your phone as a WiFi Hotspot? I do this when I use my Echo at work. Is your phone kept close enough, or do you have to turn it off?

Northern_blades

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 06:19:23 pm »
I appreciate the response.  I still have hope that someone has had similar problems, and has found a viable solution.
But the added problem is,   even if I have my phone.
I can't just open the app,    Click the network,    and  click agree terms.      Should take about 4.6 seconds.

I need to   Hold the  set up button,   and essentially start from scratch,   just to pick what was the same network I was on.

Even if I took the echo home.  Why would i have to run a full set up, just to pick a new network?
It would be like having to reboot your Phone, every time, you wanted to pick a different network.

I understand the problem is that alexa is online.
but seriously,   giving what I have seen

"alexa, Network configure, pick new network"
Lists networks
Alexa switch to X network

TA DA.
"This network requires their Party action, do you confirm"
Yes

all fixed.   easy like pie

SOMEONE  has to have built an app/skill
designed as a work around.

"Optional - Connect to a public network: Enter any required information if you are connecting to a public network that requires a web browser to sign in, like a school or hotel. The information could be a pre-shared password, room number, or just a button to accept conditions for using the network. This information cannot be saved to Amazon. Contact the network owner for more information."
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 06:22:57 pm by Northern_blades »

buffaloquinn

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 09:53:17 pm »
I don't understand why you need to run the Echo Dot's setup again to connect to the same wireless SSID. I understand the  internet issue but my Dot always reconnects to the SSID automatically, the only time I have to run setup is if I change the SSID. If I temporarily lose the network (or just the internet) my Dot doesn't need to run setup again. I realize this doesn't solve your problem with "Accept terms & conditions" but it seems like there's something else causing the setup issues.

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 05:48:45 pm »
@northern blades - you are all over the place.  first you are talking about about work place rules of not allowing a phone and trying to bypass those rules to play your radio.  then you are talking about using your phone as a hotspot in a public location.  You need to be specific and concise.  You need to leave out anything that is not a part of the original problem so your post can be understand by all. 

I will say this, you cannot always get what you want.  If you forget your network, of course you will have to agree to terms and conditions again   If you reset the dot, of course when you get home you will have to set it up again.   Maybe ask the IT person of the business you work for help.