Echo & Alexa Forums

Utilizing routines with HD 10 Tablet in show mode.

Skip

Utilizing routines with HD 10 Tablet in show mode.
« on: December 15, 2018, 08:44:26 am »
I have an HD 10 with the show mode stand. Alexa works just fine. I also have an Amazon Echo in my living room. I have changed its wake word to "Echo". When I create a routine, at the bottom is the "Alexa will respond from" option. My HD 10 does NOT show up in this list. How (can I?) add my Fire to the list of legal Echo devices?

TIA

Skip

buffaloquinn

Re: Utilizing routines with HD 10 Tablet in show mode.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 03:34:37 pm »
There are a number of things you cannot do with devices running Alexa as opposed to actual Echo devices. I believe this is one of them. I wouldn't be surprised if that functionality is added in the future however.

Skip

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 08:24:10 am »
I was thinking that might be my problem. I was hoping that things treated as "3rd party" would not include Amazon devices. Ah, well. As you say, who knows what the future will bring. Logical they would eventually add this to the list of "real" devices.

So it seems the "Show Mode" for the Fire HD is a, kinda, pretend show mode.

Thanks for the reply.

Skip

There are a number of things you cannot do with devices running Alexa as opposed to actual Echo devices. I believe this is one of them. I wouldn't be surprised if that functionality is added in the future however.

buffaloquinn

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 04:11:08 pm »
I have a Fire Tablet and I can "Drop In" on it or from it, but that's about the extent of Echo-type tricks I can do.

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 05:25:16 pm »
I was thinking that might be my problem. I was hoping that things treated as "3rd party" would not include Amazon devices. Ah, well. As you say, who knows what the future will bring. Logical they would eventually add this to the list of "real" devices.

So it seems the "Show Mode" for the Fire HD is a, kinda, pretend show mode.

Thanks for the reply.

Skip

hopefully the pretend show mode will soon be updated.  think of what you could have done on the fire over a year ago  :-)  It has come a long way since then. 

asianrocker

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 07:24:44 am »
I just tried the routine on my HD 10  and it's actually cool coz flash briefing is in video form and it shows the weather.

I also have my show mode always off coz I found it drains battery faster.

I also don't have any device under Alexa will respond from  option.

As long as it works as it should that is what matters.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 07:32:13 am by asianrocker »

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 03:13:26 pm »
I just tried the routine on my HD 10  and it's actually cool coz flash briefing is in video form and it shows the weather.

I also have my show mode always off coz I found it drains battery faster.

I also don't have any device under Alexa will respond from  option.

As long as it works as it should that is what matters.

guess that is why they came out with the show mode stand.  makes it easier to keep the fire tablet charged  :-)