Echo & Alexa Forums

MikeNY

« on: April 04, 2016, 06:02:26 pm »
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:20:09 am by MikeNY »

DParker

Re: What's in a name?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 06:29:48 pm »
What was the full command you were trying to give her?

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 05:19:47 pm »
I find Alexa has trouble with names at times. I added 2 more WEMO's to my setup. One was for a JBOD and I just called it "Server". WEMO app had not problems with it but Alexa couldn't come to grips with it at all. The top light would spin and then nothing. I try again and the top light spins then 2 tones and nothing. I try again and then she tells me she can't find a song named "server" in my music library. I had to change the name to "dataserver" then she could deal with it. sheeesh..

something similar happened to me, I had to change one of my wemos names  because of alexa not wanting to acknowledge it.  I called it tv to turn on the tv and worked for months, then all of the sudden it took around 10 tries each time giving the spill about not being found.  Looked in the log and it was hearing it right but just did not want to find it in order to turn it on.  No problem turning it off.   I ended up just renaming it to television and no more problems.  I wonder if it became a reserved name amazon was planning to use later for something. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 05:24:31 pm by renegade600 »

DParker

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 05:53:58 pm »
I was saying: "Alexa, turn on the server" and it resulted as stated previously. I had that thought also, maybe it's reserved.

Given the behavior I'd say that's not an unreasonable hypothesis.

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 05:57:01 pm »
I was saying: "Alexa, turn on the server" and it resulted as stated previously. I had that thought also, maybe it's reserved. "dataserver" works fine.

Oddly enough I use "TV" and that for me works fine... Huh??

so if you are using it, then it must not be reserved.  I fought with using tv for almost a month - for whatever reason it just would not cooperate.  I may give it another try soon but use a different spelling like teavee.  Television is just too hard to say some mornings  :-)

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 06:33:35 pm »
I named it "TV" upper case. Still works fine. I wonder if (old Windows fix) unplug Alexa, reboot (plug in) and rediscover might help.

I was saying: "Alexa, turn on the server" and it resulted as stated previously. I had that thought also, maybe it's reserved. "dataserver" works fine.

Oddly enough I use "TV" and that for me works fine... Huh??

so if you are using it, then it must not be reserved.  I fought with using tv for almost a month - for whatever reason it just would not cooperate.  I may give it another try soon but use a different spelling like teavee.  Television is just too hard to say some mornings  :-)

tried every trick I knew of in the book and nothing helped.  The only thing I did not do is file a feedback report.  they did nothing to help with my towns pronouncation even though I gave a phonetic translation. 

DParker

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 06:40:38 pm »
they did nothing to help with my towns pronouncation even though I gave a phonetic translation.

Everything (Siri, Google Now, etc) mispronounces my town's name, so I didn't have any expectation that Alexa would get it right.  I wasn't disappointed.  ::)