Echo & Alexa Forums

Using Echo Buttons as remote in routines

Offline jwlv

Using Echo Buttons as remote in routines
« on: December 12, 2018, 05:05:49 pm »
I just picked up a couple of Echo Buttons so that I can use them as a remote to start certain routines. For example, I want to use a button to turn on a group of lights when I leave the house. I already have a routine setup to do this. I have another routine to turn off the group of lights when I come home. While this works fine, I can't figure out how to make the Echo button work as a toggle switch. That is, if the lights are already on, the button should turn it off. Or if the lights are off, then turn it on. Right now the only way I can make it work is to use two Echo buttons. One button for turning off the lights and another button for turning on the lights.

These are the Echo buttons if anyone is interested:
https://www.amazon.com/Echo-Buttons-Pack-gaming-companion/dp/B072C4KCQH/
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 06:37:35 pm by jwlv »

StevenR

Re: Using Echo Buttons as remote in routines
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 01:44:25 pm »
There isn't any built-in way of doing this.
I wanted to do the same and ended up creating a script in Home Assistant which toggles the light which gets exposed a a scene to Alexa (using an unofficial smart home skill).
Something similar would probably be possible with Stringify or similar, but I'm not sure about this as the Stringify Smart Home skill isn't available in the UK.