Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa as a wifi extender

iguana

Alexa as a wifi extender
« on: December 17, 2018, 03:46:02 am »
While at a hotel I noticed that in order to connect my Echo Dot to the hotel wifi, the app on my phone had to have the Echo connect to the hotel hotspot while I was connected directly to the Echo.  This was in order to login using the hotels web login.  This had an interesting side effect.  The Dot was effectively acting as a wifi extender to my phone which has very poor wifi strength.  I was able to fully use the internet on my phone while connected to the Echo's wifi setup.  The Eco obviously has the capability to extend wifi so I find it odd that it's not a feature.  Here's hoping that an app can be developed to enable this since it's already present in the hardware.  Any thoughts?

mike27oct

Re: Alexa as a wifi extender
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 06:36:21 pm »
Idoubt this was the case, and you were just connected to hotel wi-fi. 

iguana

Re: Alexa as a wifi extender
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 11:36:23 pm »
Idoubt this was the case, and you were just connected to hotel wi-fi.

Nope, my phone was connected to the Dot in setup mode.  My fiance was able to connect to it at the same time as well.  The Dot was connected to the hotel wifi in setup mode and we were both connected to the Dot.  I could exit out of the Alexa app and browse the internet with Chrome.  Sadly the Dot will timeout and disconnect if you don't finish setup after about 5 minutes.  This works well and I am shocked it's not a feature or one that can be added.