Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Multi-Room Audio from External Input (e.g. vinyl)

Multi-Room Audio from External Input (e.g. vinyl)
« on: December 06, 2018, 11:04:13 am »
I know that an Echo can pair with a bluetooth audio source, so if you have a single audio input you'd like to play on a single Echo you can use a bluetooth transmitter. But I'm getting multiple Echos around the house and wanting to find a way that I can stream audio from an external device to multiple Echos, either one at a time or as a group with multi-room audio.

(And before anybody tells me, yes I know I can probably find whatever I have on vinyl on Spotify or whatever. I'm using that, too. I just LIKE vinyl for the fun of it and want to stream it around the house if possible.)

Re: Multi-Room Audio from External Input (e.g. vinyl)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 07:14:14 pm »
At the moment I don't believe that is possible. There are multiple ways to stream your own music to an Echo device from a server, (Plex & MyMedia are 2 examples), but Amazon doesn't allow multi-device for anything like that. You're really looking for a solution that will 'push' content to the devices & I don't see that happening any time soon. What would be neat is a 'Bluetooth Server.' A device that broadcast audio content via Bluetooth & allowed multiple devices to receive the signal, be it Echos or other Bluetooth speakers.

Re: Multi-Room Audio from External Input (e.g. vinyl)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 09:53:45 pm »
Yeah, that's what I thought, but I was hoping for a solution. I know a couple Sonos products have a line in, which they can then beam to other Sonos speakers. And Apple's HomePods support multi-room audio over airplay, so in theory you could use a Raspberry Pi with an open source airplay server to feed to that (although I don't know if you need Airplay 2 for multi-room audio). Of course both Sonos and HomePod are MUCH more expensive than what I was planning, so definitely a no-go on those.

Oh well, I might go the bluetooth transmitter route so I can at least stream wirelessly to one speaker.