Echo & Alexa Forums

LIFX White 800 A19 Wi-Fi Smart LED Light Bulb, and Echo

DebbieR

LIFX White 800 A19 Wi-Fi Smart LED Light Bulb, and Echo
« on: April 02, 2016, 01:53:11 pm »
I saw something from Amazon today about these bulbs working directly with Echo, and wondered if anybody had any experience with this. I don't have a smart phone, I use my Kindle Fire for the Echo app. Will this work directly with the Echo app, or am I setting myself up for a world of frustration? I would love to be able to tell Alexa to turn on or dim a light without going through a hub, just using my WiFi and the Amazon products. Plus I see Best Buy carries them and have a gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket...

Thanks!
Debbie

Re: LIFX White 800 A19 Wi-Fi Smart LED Light Bulb, and Echo
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 03:09:42 pm »
the following is from Amazon in their Alexa on Fire TV page. 

Connected Home Devices - Use Alexa to control compatible home devices, like lights and switches, connected through a hub service (e.g. Wink, SmartThings, or Insteon). For more information, go to Home Automation.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201859020

I do not have firetv but it seems to me it will work as long as you have a hub.   for example, I needed the wink hub for the tcp connected bulbs I have in order to work with the echo and they do dim on command.   

ScottinPollock

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 04:46:42 pm »
Yes, Echo has a built in integration for LIFX.

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 05:01:49 pm »
forgot your other question, amazon alexa app will work with your kindle fire as long as the os is 2.0 or higher BUT it does not support 1st and 2nd generation kindle fire. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201602060
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 05:03:21 pm by renegade600 »

DebbieR

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 11:18:31 am »
Thanks, all - I think I might order a bulb and give this a try!

leehop71

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 01:34:38 pm »
Thanks, all - I think I might order a bulb and give this a try!

I have both the Philips Hue and the LIFX.

I can even program the LIFX to come on at a certain time, M-F, so my wife can see when she is getting ready for work, on a setting that is low enough that it doesn't wake me up!

Plus the different theme lighting is pretty cool.

I use the Hue lights for my porch, driveway, and yard lights.

DebbieR

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 10:35:53 am »
I got the LIFX bulb, spent lots of time with Amazon customer support via the Mayday feature on my Kindle, still didn't get far. So bought an inexpensive Acer android tablet - it got the app and seems to see the bulb but I still haven't gotten it to work! I'll keep at it... nothing technological is ever easy.