Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa Echo Plus set up

Rod

Alexa Echo Plus set up
« on: December 02, 2018, 03:35:32 pm »
Hello,  I have read much of the exiting documentation put online by Amazon and I either do not understand it or it is just too darn vague.  Can anyone help me with the following;

1)  I would like to have music go to 3 different speakers throughout my house at the same time?  Is this possible?  I read in one place where music can only go to 1 speaker at a time, however in another place I read that by setting up Smart Home you can set up your Echo to play music on multiple devices.  I am totally confused.  I tried to do it but failed many times.  I do have 3 speakers paired.  One speaker is of course my Echo Plus, and the other 2 speakers are Bose wireless blue tooth speakers.  So, if anyone can help me and give me detailed instructions how to accomplish this I sure would appreciate it.

2)  I would also like to know how to switch my music easily from one speaker to another.  This I am pretty sure is possible,  but I have tried to do what Amazon documentation is telling me to do and cannot get it to work.

3)  I would also like to know how to rename by speaker names to meaningful names such as "Bose Office Speaker" or "Bose Bedroom Speaker"  etc.  instead of the critic names that they are given by default like "Bose SL111"  etc.

Once again, if anyone would like to help I sure would appreciated it.  :)

Offline jwlv

Re: Alexa Echo Plus set up
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 07:49:25 pm »
I think the confusion is the word "speaker." Some people refer to an Echo as a speaker or smart speaker. Other people refer to an actual speaker as a speaker, such as a Bose or a Yamaha speaker.

To play music simultaneously in more than one room, you must have multiple Echo devices in each room. Then you'd set up a group to designate which Echo devices will play your music together, simultaneously.

The restriction to mutli-room music is that the music must come out of the Echo's built-in speaker. If you're using wireless speakers, then forget about it. Echo won't do it. Although your Bose Bluetooth speakers can be used by any Echo device to play music, they cannot be used to play music as part of a group in a multi-room setup.