Echo & Alexa Forums

Amazon Echo says "sorry, that device is offline" when trying to play music

dizny71

I'm having an odd issue with my new Echo.  When I try to play music it tells me "sorry, that unit is offline".  I have to turn on my bluetooth speaker, then the music will play through the speaker, then turn off my bluetooth speaker and the music will play on the echo.

I have tried deregistering the echo and setting it back up with no bluetooth speaker and I get the same message when I try to play music.  The echo works fine with commands and getting information like weather or news.  It's only with music that I get this error message.

No other echos are giving me problems, just this new one.

How do I fix this?

try pulling the plug of the echo device for about 40 seconds

dizny71

I tried that.  I unplugged the echo and left it unplugged for about 2 minutes then plugged it in and tried it.  Same error.

what is the music service you are trying to play from?  did you try different ones?  what about radio stations?   what is the exact command you are using?

dizny71

Amazon Music.  I'm a member of the unlimited service.

I say, "Alexa, play 70's music" or something like that.  I've also tried my XM radio and I get the same results.  If I power on my bluetooth speaker everything works fine then I power off the speaker and the audio flips back to the internal echo speaker.  If I try it though without the bluetooth speaker powered on, I get that error.

I also get that error if I remove the bluetooth speaker entirely from the echo.

did you try alexa, play 70s music from amazon music?   which echo device is it?   might be time to contact customer service on this one.

dizny71

Thanks.  I just did and I'm getting a replacement unit.