Echo & Alexa Forums

Are we being watched

Gollum2016

Are we being watched
« on: November 24, 2018, 04:28:42 pm »
Hi
Does Amazon know if you are using a Echo.
I get a bit paranoid when using devices that are connected to my internet.

I heard that Alexa saves stuff that you do on there servers ?
Surely that cannot be correct. As they could monitor the millions of Echo devices out there and know who's using what.
Cheers

Re: Are we being watched
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 05:10:33 pm »
it is no different than your smartphone.  think of all the apps you installed that asked for camera and microphone permission.  think of onstar or those other vehicle services that works with your voice.  think of all the keystrokes being kept by your internet/cable  provider whether wire or  mobile.   Think of the local stores keeping track of your purchases when you use their promotion card/write checks/ use debit or credit cards.   think of everything being kept about you by that digital cable box or streaming box you have connected to your tv.   think of all the info this website is collecting about you.   IMO, alexa is no different.   and yet there's more, so much it would take a while to write it. 

so of course amazon know when you are using the echo and of course there is a history on amazons servers.  If you are concerned about your privacy, forget it, you lost it years ago. 

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 05:24:22 pm »
Well stated above.  The Alexa devices remember what you have said to HELP you, not track down you for insidious reasons.  Maybe you need to stop using ALL your devices if you are concerned about these sorts of things.  Good luck giving them up.

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 08:52:05 pm »
Of course they know what you're doing with their devices.  As does Google and their devices and many of the smart devices that run on Alexa and Google.  It's all on their servers.  They don't listen to all of it but it's there if they want to.  I'm afraid it's far more nefarious than most people think.  There are ways of getting info out of you if you don't have AIs in the house so I'm just going to enjoy it till of the two big companies require me to stamp a 666 on my forehead...but then it will be too late :o