Echo & Alexa Forums

New user, UK

TimHem

New user, UK
« on: November 24, 2018, 12:17:32 am »
Hi everyone. I took advantage of the black friday sales to buy a couple of Dot V3's, with a 3rd on order.
Slowly learning how to use it effectively. I have Hive smart home products, heating lights and plugs, that all work very well with it.
Things that impress me. The sound output for such a small device. The ability to pick out my voice with background noise.
Features i find most useful, other than smart home; lists, timers, alarms, to do and shopping list.
The one thing I am a little disappointed with is the ease and functionality of playing podcasts. I dont listen to music, but I do listen to talk radio and podcasts all the time. The radio is ok, I can find stations i like easy enough and play them "everywhere". Not so for podcasts. I dont see any way to get them to play everywhere, and its a chore getting them to play with voice commands.
I hope some of you clever people can bridge this gap now that skills blueprints are available. Its frustrating that tunein has lots of podcasts, but alexa dosnt seem willing to access them from that source.
Any tips on playing podcasts would be wonderfull

CC147555

Re: New user, UK
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 12:04:11 pm »
I haven't tried playing any podcasts via alexa, however you can play live radio on the multi-room music groups using TuneIn, by saying something like "Alexa, play <radio station name> on TuneIn everywhere". It is important to say "on TuneIn" as by default most stations have there own alexa skills that don't support multi room yet.

Hope this helps.

Re: New user, UK
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 08:34:42 am »
You need to enable the Anypod skill. Then you can just say Alexa ask anypod to play the ‘X’ podcast.